PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I am officially an old man. I now have my very own cardiologist! He's a great guy, very pragmatic and understanding of man's foibles.
Seventy years of dissolute living and now the piper is asking for his due. I have an enlarged, congested heart. The question now is, how much will I be willing to change my lifestyle so as to possibly extend my time? No or severely limited red meat? Limited salt? Exercise more? Lose weight? Smoking habits? These are but a few of the changes I'm being asked to consider.
I suspect a long night or two with a bit of port as I mull over and weigh the possible benefits v quality of life.

swb118

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 20, 2016
When I was 18, I thought 70 was old. Now, in my late 40's, I really believe 70 is still "young". Take care of yourself brother.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Warren, sorry to hear of your health challenge. All the lifestyle elements you spoke of no doubt affect CHF. My thoughts are with you.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The question now is, how much will I be willing to change my lifestyle so as to possibly extend my time? No or severely limited red meat? Limited salt? Exercise more? Lose weight? Smoking habits? These are but a few of the changes I'm being asked to consider.
And, how much is medicine accurate about these things, since they're wrong about so much else?
Here's to your health, Warren, and f&*@#$$%k the medical establishment.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I'm quite sure you could be put into a sealed room, fed a perfect diet through tubes, wear a padded suit 24/7, be monitored twice a day with blood tests, allowed to watch and read only soothing information, and live longer than if you didn't do those things.
On the other hand, you could start spending your savings on five star callgirls, bottomless vintage champagne, buckets of Beluga caviar, and endless lines of crack cocaine... and die sooner.
The right answer is somewhere in between, of course. But only you can set the dial. (Listen to the quiet voice. It rarely lies.)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
No advice, but to just wish you well. I keep my fingers crossed that I have about the right amounts of whatever in my life.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Warren,
Sorry to hear about you condition. I have to make changes as well and of course, I'm resistant. I want it my way. But that isn't how life always works. I'm asking myself do I want to live longer with a low quality of life or do I want to live longer with a higher quality of life. Some of it is habits, some of it is genetics. What do I decide I want to do with the hand I was dealt.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Warren, Like you and Sable, my doctor gave me some choices. For me it came down to contemplating "is existence living?". If the extra few years they're promising are spent drooling on yourself they can keep them. Just one man's opinion.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
No one in my family has ever lived past 65, so from my perspective, 70 is quite ancient. No offense, but as being the oldest living member of my family, to live to 70 is amazing to me. Take care Warren, and live as long as you possibly can.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Change sucks when it comes to lifestyle. It's challenging and doesn't come easy, but persistance and perseverance is motivating at any age. Make some changes Warren, but don't give up everything you enjoy.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Doctor/patient meeting on Monday. I believe I may get away with some meds, weight loss and some dietary changes. If I can get my strength back with minimal negative impact on lifestyle I'll be a happy camper. If I can't get out and about lugging cameras and such, chasing wildlife, then I have some serious choices to make.
Thanks for the well wishes. I'm one of those who respects the medicos and hope a stint or balloon may be just the ticket for what ails me. Well see what the choices are.
I do know I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. This all started back in December but, I didn't really start paying attention until mid-January.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I am there too, I don't inhale the pipe. I use salt sense, will exercise more & eat leaner meats, will still have my adult beverages more moderately than before.

I am older at 70.5 than any other male in our family. So that is where I am at. Memory isn't as great as it was 5 years ago.

Might change my mind if laying in a hospital ER bed about the above!

Hard to die healthy.

Best to you.

mahew

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2017
Kentucky Hills and Hollers
The one inescapable fact in this discussion is that death catches us all. I believe that the important question here is how you choose to live. To me, the choice revolves around how much “living” we are willing to sacrifice to” live”. To complicate things further, there is the proverbial “bus”.
I will share a personal experience here. My mom, was an extremely healthy 67 year old woman that took very good care of herself. I figured she would out live me. One day she ends up in the emergency room with a brain aneurysm that had complications, two days later she was gone. Not dead, just gone. For the next year we watched a once vibrant woman wither away to nothing. She and her family were hit head on with that proverbial bus.
I realize that this is an extreme case, but I share her story to make this point. While we may be able to change the odds in our favor, we can not actually choose what kind of an ending destiny has in store for us. We all must choose what we believe is right for us, and the ones we love. For the record, I am fairly confident that I have not chosen wisely!
I wish you the best!
-M.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
I'm not bemoaning the fact that my heart is sick. I've had a hell of a run. So no complaints. Born in '46 I had an expectation of living to age 68. Considering how I've chosen to live my life, I'm more amazed than disappointed.
My philosophy mirrors sablebrush and decisions are to be made. Soon I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.