PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
There have been a few threads asking about interest in certain music. The Blue's, Heavy Metal, etc. How about the Big Bands, the days of swing, Tommy Dorsey, Benny Goodman, Duke Ellington? Who of you listened to that kind of music?
I grew up in the late 50's and early 60's. I played the drums in both a rock band and a jazz quartet. I would often practice by playing along with the records of the Big Band greats,

stephenw

Might Stick Around
Nov 14, 2014
WV
The only music I listen to when on my nightly commute is 1930s to very early 40s big band music. My rotation includes Artie Shaw, the Dorsey Brothers, Benny Goodman, Glen Miller, Fletcher Henderson, Woody Herman, Count Basie, and Duke Ellington. On Saturday night my radio is tuned to Public Radio for Hot Jazz Saturday Night. I love the great clarinet players most, so Artie Shaw and Benny Goodman are the CDs I usually pack up for my commute. Tonight I will be listening to Benny Goodman's 1938 concert in Carnegie Hall.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I used to go see the Thad Jones/ Mel Lewis Big Band in Greenwich Village when I was in college. I played this recording in the delivery room when our daughter was born in 1985.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M2ADUgffFE

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I was lucky enough to see Duke Ellington and Count Basie before their passing...

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
Would someone please tell me just how to post a video ,I have tried url embedded nothing works.

At one time all you had to do was url or embedded, so what gives. :?:

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I routinely listen to the '40s Channel on satellite radio; sometimes while I work, usually while I enjoy a pipe or two in the evenings. My dad, who was born in the early '40s, played clarinet and oboe in big bands as a hobby when he was young and still does to this day. If you ever drive in the car with my dad ... you will listen to big band on the radio, whether you want to or not, and get a lengthy history lesson about the musicians.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
My Dad exposed me to lots of band music, as well as many other 'types'..from Boots Randolph, to Herb Albert, to all the 40's guys...and of course, the advent of television paralleled my growth to adulthood, so I was able to see many of these folks on the Ed Sullivan show...Spike Jones, anyone? Just thought about the contrast between Mom's Maybley and Leslie Uggams. Just thought about Juliet Prowse....I'd better stop thinking along this line.

dermotfahy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
30's through early 40's for me, Artie Shaw, Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey, Harry James, Les Brown (and his band of renown), the list goes on... Big Band probably accounts for three quarters of the music I listen to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUbgwADLFPM

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I like music and movie musicals too, but call me a codger, I just as much like the sound of peace and quiet. Silence is golden...now where have I heard that before?

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I used to go see the Thad Jones/ Mel Lewis Big Band in Greenwich Village when I was in college. I played this recording in the delivery room when our daughter was born in 1985.
I was not aware of this recording. Absolutely beautiful. (just heard the trombone staccato ending-a little strange-LOL)
As a former professional trumpet player (orchestral) I have always had strong feelings towards big bands.
Thankfully, I got to hear Maynard Ferguson live just before he died in NYC.
thanks for sharing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.