PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LEP7cv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2020
Portugal
Beyond the sum of all factors that are present in a pipe, which is the one or two factors that tend to weigh more on you when you decide to buy a pipe? Shape? Brand/maker? Finishing?
I, for example, am a sucker for straight billards.. :) but that's a phase that will probably pass a bit and change

the only way to know if a pipe is a good smoker is to try it out... or can you say that if you buy that brand "I know it's a good smoker for me"?

Reactions: JOHN72

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
Shape, stem material, bowl diameter and depth with color being last. I only prefer lucite or acrylic bent stems. Drilling is never right for me so I always have to alter to my taste. All my petes have come 9/64 draw hole which I ream to 11/64. And the stem is 7/64 from factory which i enlarge to the bend to 9/64. Easier to maintain the ember for me with those dimensions. Trial and error for me based on the Bernoulli principle, increasing pipe diameters and effects of pressure and velocity. I started increasing diameters to gain better airflow with 1/64 increments.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
If I'm browsing through pipes, for instance, on SPC - I'm scrolling until I see a pipe that strikes me as aesthetically pleasing (shape/finish). The first specific I check is the weight. If it's over 30g my interest wanes significantly.
If the weight is acceptable I then check the OAL. If it's no longer than A HAIR over 5", we're on the right track.

So if the length and weight fall in to my desired range I'll begin dissecting the details.

LEP7cv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2020
Portugal
If I'm browsing through pipes, for instance, on SPC - I'm scrolling until I see a pipe that strikes me as aesthetically pleasing (shape/finish). The first specific I check is the weight. If it's over 30g my interest wanes significantly.
If the weight is acceptable I then check the OAL. If it's no longer than A HAIR over 5", we're on the right track.

So if the length and weight fall in to my desired range I'll begin dissecting the details.
so, you're a clencher? :)

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
I gravitate towards rusticated finishes. I like straight or just slightly bent. I want a comfortable stem and button for clinching. I top out at around 50 grams weight. I like the p-lip stems on older Peterson Pipes. I like smoking vulcanite stems but hate them otherwise. I usually buy pipes with acrylic stems because I’m lazy.