PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

captaincalabash

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
Texas
The majority of my modest collection (~30) of pipes were bought from eBay. Advantages: (1) you can potentially spend a fraction of what you would on a new pipe (2) you get a nice pipe already broken in - if not actually broken! (3} you get to learn/practice your pipe restoration and cleaning skills (4) in the process of evaluating what you would get for your money, you will be forced to research pipe makes and types and so learn a great deal about pipe history. Disadvantages: (1) you must be very careful with your shopping, lest you get a busted up piece of junk photographed from a flattering angle (2) your "new" pipe will be old/used and will almost certainly need to be cleaned before use, although I have a friend who never does this on his new acquisitions and suffers no ill effects.

Reactions: camaguey and Cap
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Cobs give you the most bang for your buck.

Scotte has a pear pipe kit with pipe, 2 pipe bag, tobacco pouch, reamer, pipe tool, and other accessories for about $35. The pipe is similar shaped to a Savinelli 606 and looks sharp.

Estates can be a steal and Rossi and Morgan Bones have decent entry level prices (although I haven't tried the last two).

Also, I noticed you mentioned Wild Bill's, which is a chain in Michigan that is RYO,vape, and cigar focused. The pipe selection is nominal and their house tobacco blends are meh at best. The tins are Ashton's and I don't care for Latakia. I tend to go their for pipe cleaners when in a pinch, but that's it.

Site sponsor SPC delivers to Michigan in about 2 days. Amazon about the same.

Reactions: Cap

Cap

Might Stick Around
Oct 8, 2022
S.W Michigan (For Now)
Just because no one else is mentioning them, Rattray's makes some fine pipes at an attractive price point. They have a selection called "The Good Deal", and they are exactly that. Is there a particular shape or anything that you looking for?
Like the curved or bent stem and dont really want a huge deep bowl.

Cap

Might Stick Around
Oct 8, 2022
S.W Michigan (For Now)
Cobs give you the most bang for your buck.

Scotte has a pear pipe kit with pipe, 2 pipe bag, tobacco pouch, reamer, pipe tool, and other accessories for about $35. The pipe is similar shaped to a Savinelli 606 and looks sharp.

Estates can be a steal and Rossi and Morgan Bones have decent entry level prices (although I haven't tried the last two).

Also, I noticed you mentioned Wild Bill's, which is a chain in Michigan that is RYO,vape, and cigar focused. The pipe selection is nominal and their house tobacco blends are meh at best. The tins are Ashton's and I don't care for Latakia. I tend to go their for pipe cleaners when in a pinch, but that's it.

Site sponsor SPC delivers to Michigan in about 2 days. Amazon about the same.
Lol you pretty much nailed it.
6 dollar bag of Kentucky Select red and it smokes like a 6 dollar bag.

Paid 8 for a 1.5 ounce pouch of their vanilla cavendish and its smokes very well.
The Kentucky makes a great mix .

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant
Mar 1, 2014
Just bought a pear wood pipe and its ok but not what i was expecting.

At the moment things are tight and finding a good smoking pipe for little money seems tough.

Any suggestions?
Thank You
Buy a Rossi and use a 5/32" drill bit to clean the bowl coating out of the draft hole, at that point you'll have 99% of what makes a good pipe.
Remember Rossi pipes are all still produced from the Savinelli factory out of the same stock of Briar, cheap pipes are just sold as such when they have too many fills, and that's not saying expensive pipes don't have fills, just cheaper pipes have "more".

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I have been told and read that ebony wood is toxic.
Are ebony pipes a bad choice?
There are a lot of safe options - pear, Apple, cherry, strawberry wood , birch, olive, oak, morta (semi-fossilised bog oak), mountain laurel, manzanita.

The problem "ebony, rosewood and redwood" is that these are generic names.
You are not sure what you are getting exactly.
Some could be toxic.

With briar and so many safe choices, why would you take a gamble ?
Unless you like to walk on the wild side 😈

Caveat emptor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I used to recommend a Dr Grabow to a beginning pipe smoker, and they are a good choice.

But the strength of the US dollar today makes a Peterson a better bargain.

$92 for a huge Peterson is likely as cheap, adjusted for inflation, as a big Peterson has ever been sold in the USA.

68FEA9ED-B2C1-49AE-B288-AB4F81E111CC.jpegC58350D8-1B1D-45A5-B9F9-5CE1BDB77069.jpeg

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I have been told and read that ebony wood is toxic.
Are ebony pipes a bad choice?
I remember from the guitar world that ebony (real ebony wood, that is) was getting hard to come by years and years ago. Perhaps the issue was with finding good long pieces for guitar fretboards and it's not as much of a problem with stummel-sized blocks. But who knows what these Chinese companies with "alphabet soup" names are actually making them out of? Just save up another $20 and buy a briar from a company with a good reputation.

Or a basic cob with a straight stem. It'll have a nice draw and absolutely no issues passing a big fluffy pipe cleaner for those times you need to. 👍

Reactions: Cap

Amarkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2022
Northeast MI
Some real good suggestions here. I love my cheap cob. Ive used and abused it and it smokes great. Ive also got several estate pipes. 1 GBD that i paid like 25 bucks for and several Savinelli's and a Dunhill. I think the most i paid for any of my estate pipes was 70 bucks if that. I did however end up with a Savinelli that had been bored out so it has thinner walls but i can pack a lot of tobacco in it for a nice long smoke. Just gotta pay careful attention to what you are buying. Best of luck.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I am one of the low-priced pipe experts on Forums, if I do say so. I have some up-market pipes, but I like various low-end pipes, selectively. There are some good briar pipes in the $40 to $60 range or a little more. Of course, there are Missouri Meerschaum (MM) cob pipes; I prefer the special editions with acrylic stems that are more durable, and these go for under $30. You can get many moderately priced estate (used) pipes for low prices. There are plenty of junk pipes, so you have to shop carefully, preferably in person if you can. Stick with major brands. Rossi pipes made by Savinelli; Ropp pipes from France; Falcons from UK all can be had for reasonable prices, and bought used for even lower prices. Kaywoodie, Yello-Bole, and Medico pipes can be had new online for about $40. Check out the West Virginia Smoke Shop. I like the Kaywoodie Saxon line and the Yello-Bole Checkers. You can get stuck with a clunker, but most of these are well made, durable, and smoke as well as any.

Smoke the pear wood pipe to give your briars, etc., a rest, as long as it smokes well enough. You can do fine with three or four pipes for several years, just enough for a rotation without denting your budget.