Best Way to Remove Stain From the Chamber?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Got a half price Summertime 2019 Pete, and learned two things: the bowl coating comes off in warm water, and they leaked stain all the way down the bowl.

What’s the best way to remove it? Alcohol and paper towels? Hopefully not sandpaper.

9B8BD614-32AA-4619-8EAE-EB8294AA357A.jpeg

Attachments

• 799AC7DA-BB86-4F0D-B4AA-7DECEECC2922.jpeg
    799AC7DA-BB86-4F0D-B4AA-7DECEECC2922.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 2

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I used alcohol and about 40 Q-tips, but my Peterson had the entire chamber and mortise stained. The bowl coating on mine came off in big chunks and started burning when I smoked Lane BCA in it.

Reactions: Casual

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Got a half price Summertime 2019 Pete, and learned two things: the bowl coating comes off in warm water, and they leaked stain all the way down the bowl.

I'm thinkin there's a reason it was half priced.

• Haha

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Why? Just smoke it.

I’ve read people complain it imparts a bad flavour to the smoke for quite a few bowls. Is that wrong? I’m probably going to smoke this thing four or five times a year, so I am interested in minimizing any break-in.

I'm thinkin there's a reason it was half priced.

They just unloaded the last stock of last years summertime pipes, presumably in advance of the new ones. I’m not sure this one in particular was targeted.

I thought they stopped slopping up the Petes. I guess not.

It looks like it leaked through a seal. Probably inadvertent. But they still sent it out.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
600 paper, followed by alcohol and paper towel, followed by smoking it. At least that's what I would do. :)

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
So you think you can clean off something that would take 5 or 6 bowls to burn off? I guess if I were concerned about it, if use the sandpaper that was suggested and lightly sand it. Then I'd run some hot tap water through it and wipe it clean. If you think it's going to take more than that, I'd send it back or throw it away.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
So you think you can clean off something that would take 5 or 6 bowls to burn off? I guess if I were concerned about it, if use the sandpaper that was suggested and lightly sand it. Then I'd run some hot tap water through it and wipe it clean. If you think it's going to take more than that, I'd send it back or throw it away.

That‘s the question: how annoying is the stain, and how hard to remediate it. I knew that ordering a Pete was a roll of the dice, and I threw somewhat poorly, so now I’m cleaning it up.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
If you're lucky, like Hoosier says, you can just smoke it a few times and the off-flavors will go away. If you're unlucky, like I was with a Rossi pipe, the flavor may never entirely go away. It took many many bowels just to get it down to a tolerable level of suck and finally I gave up on it because my time is more important than trying to smoke the shit taste out of a pipe. I'm no pipe repair guy but I'd consider the sanding method if I were you.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
What are you going to smoke in it? If heavier English blends, I seriously doubt the flavors from the stain will come through. If a straight Virginia, perhaps. I sure wouldn't be using a bunch of chemicals to try and remove it then be smoking those chemicals. Taking one evil for another.

Sand it out as best you can. Use the cotton ball soaked in Everclear for a day or two. Run tap water as hot as you can get it through the bowl. If the stain flavors still come through, toss the pipe. Seems simple enough. More effort than the pipe is probably worth.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
What are you going to smoke in it?

Probably burleys and Va/burs. Not the most delicate flavours, but not heavy Englishes.

Sand it out as best you can. Use the cotton ball soaked in Everclear for a day or two. Run tap water as hot as you can get it through the bowl. If the stain flavors still come through, toss the pipe. Seems simple enough. More effort than the pipe is probably worth.

Definitely more effort than I had hoped. But this is a good plan.

I would just smoke it.

I figured you’d use it to germinate tomato plants or chuck it into the sea or something.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
It is a well known fact that if you smoke that stain, your dick will shrivel to a size that is not pretty. I would sand it real well, then wipe it with everclear , then sand it again and then get a friend to smoke it first.

Status
Not open for further replies.