PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJF_

Lurker
Dec 31, 2020
Northeastern PA
I recently purchased a Georg Jensen bent egg pipe on the cheap. Shape 902. Loved the shape and thought the partially sandblast/smooth was nice.

The stem logo has basically been buffed off, it’s there but VERY hard to see. This is one thing I’d like to try to restore but not sure if it would need more of an engraving to show up.

The larger more concerning fix, it appears the bowl has been reamed and ridges formed in two spots.. this is my guess at least. It is only in a section along the front and tapers off at the side. Would this be able to be sanded down? Any negative effects of leaving as is?
I don’t do much beyond normal cleaning and such so not sure I want to tackle this. Would sending it out to blue room briars be a good option?

Could probably use a salt treatment too. The pipe doesn’t smell ghosted with a specific tobacco but just very “musty”.
Thoughts on overall restorations to this?

7B6A1FB1-4636-4005-839D-EFD41FDE73FD.jpegBC5613D1-BADC-4F38-9AB5-803187FAFD45.jpeg87705A9F-E1AA-457F-99CD-EAB70F07E89F.jpegF030DA3F-B212-4425-8B7C-A703A6769E72.jpegD3ED4735-2A35-46E5-B0CB-64DB55E4869A.jpeg9C2426C7-1EBC-4020-97F6-5A90950826F3.jpeg

TJF_

Lurker
Dec 31, 2020
Northeastern PA
I recently purchased a Georg Jensen bent egg pipe on the cheap. Shape 902. Loved the shape and thought the partially sandblast/smooth was nice
As a note, this did not show in sellers photos and was not listed in the description either, unfortunately. I still really like the pipe, but not sure if that bowl is too much of an undertaking/worth fixing.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Someone buffed the stem off the pipe: a no no. The reaming was done by a gorilla. I'll leave any suggestions to those more "handy" than I.

Reactions: anotherbob

TJF_

Lurker
Dec 31, 2020
Northeastern PA
Someone buffed the stem off the pipe: a no no. The reaming was done by a gorilla. I'll leave any suggestions to those more "handy" than I.
Basically yes. Overall wondering:
1. Can it be fixed?
2. Is it worth fixing?
3. Will it cause any performance issues if left alone?

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
The over buffed stem and logo are not fixable - at least not that I’m aware of.

The bad reaming - if it were mine I’d probably smoke it gently and allow a layer of cake to build up. It doesn’t seem serious enough to cause a burn out to me, but someone else with more experience might counsel otherwise.

Alternatively you could use pipe mud to form a thin barrier and then build cake.

The salt & alcohol treatment in the bowl and a thorough cleaning of the mortise will almost certainly get rid of mustiness. Coffee grounds work too.

Me? I’d smoke it and enjoy it for what it’s worth and silently curse the previous owner for careless reaming and buffing the ever-living shit out of a pipe especially with the stem removed. But that’s just me. If it smokes okay and you like it just call it “character” and enjoy it!

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
The stem doesn’t appear to have been buffed. The central line look good and it’s not rounded or fouled. The poor fit culprit is most likely build up around tenon base. Give that a good cleaning and everything should line up much better. Clean the mortise as well. As far as the reaming it looks like their is a thin cake layer still there. All in all it’s in really good shape. Just needs some minor tweaks. Congrats on a great pipe. If you like the stem logo you can try white out, or any model paint. I let it dry and scrap off with my nail.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
The stem doesn’t appear to have been buffed. The central line look good and it’s not rounded or fouled. The poor fit culprit is most likely build up around tenon base. Give that a good cleaning and everything should line up much better. Clean the mortise as well. As far as the reaming it looks like their is a thin cake layer still there. All in all it’s in really good shape. Just needs some minor tweaks. Congrats on a great pipe. If you like the stem logo you can try white out, or any model paint. I let it dry and scrap off with my nail.
Hey neighbor!
That vulcanite stem looked rounded over were it meets the briar. The pictures show it. Aesthetically, that bugs me. I feel the join should be seamless.

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
Hey neighbor!
That vulcanite stem looked rounded over were it meets the briar. The pictures show it. Aesthetically, that bugs me. I feel the join should be seamless.
The tendon base is most likely the issue. The gap is off . One cleaned and fully mated it should be fine. Usually when one inexperienced goes nuts with a buffer the or sanding the side profile will be uneven and that line changes. I don’t see that here. However it’s not in my hand.

Reactions: edger

TJF_

Lurker
Dec 31, 2020
Northeastern PA
The tendon base is most likely the issue. The gap is off . One cleaned and fully mated it should be fine. Usually when one inexperienced goes nuts with a buffer the or sanding the side profile will be uneven and that line changes. I don’t see that here. However it’s not in my hand.
There is some build up around the base of the tenon. I’ll give it a good oxy clean soak and then some alcohol and pipe cleaners. Hopefully that does the trick.
I much more gently scraped out the bowl with a knife and wiped it out with a paper towel.. salt treatment will happen this weekend and a quick no buff waxing. Hopefully it’ll be good after that!

TJF_

Lurker
Dec 31, 2020
Northeastern PA
I’ll give the white out a try after I clean it all up. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.