PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
This is probably an FNG question but I'll throw it out there anyway. Where can you buy beeswax?
If you can, find a local beekeeper in your area (check at farmer's markets, health food store or even yellowpages!). They'll always have extra wax to sell and you'll get it at a good price.

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
Slow and careful heating, pressed against my desk or other hard surface, problem solved.
I have used a candle before and it does work but "be careful" is an understatement.I have found though my electric stove works perfectly..and make sure to have a cold cup of water to dip the stem in to "Lock-in" the shape you want to set

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
If the pipe will stay together at all I have found that simply smoking it eventually cures the problem.

newbug

Lurker
Feb 27, 2014
If you google 'Pipe loose fit' it brings you here, so worth adding my two one hundreths of an imperial english pound I should hope.

I just fixed a horribly loose (fall off if you move too much) but otherwise wonderful Savinelli Churchwarden with a goodly smear of beeswax, which has got to be better than horrid chemical nail polish hasn't it?

I had to create an account to say this so I hope it helps someone!

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
The garbage that some of us try so intently to remove from our pipes is actually quite effective in keeping the tenon-shank fit tight. I have always found that smoking the pipe is often effective in tightening the pipe up. Frankly, I bought a huge chunk of bees wax to help with this very problem and it just does not seem to do the trick; maybe I'll make some candles out of it. I have always suspected that the shank drying out is a major cause of loose fittings...

Spencer

verse

Lurker
Mar 6, 2014
I have an old Brigham Mountaineer estate pipe that for some weird reason, one day, just fell apart, loose as a goose. I took a very thin piece, about an eighth of an inch, of duct tape (the real stuff...like tin foil with one sticky side). I applied the thin layer so as not to overlap but connect at both ends...voila...works beautifully. This Brigs has the older aluminum style tenon.

furthur73

Lurker
Jan 12, 2014
I agree with everyone else's suggested first step of bee's wax and smoking a few bowls. If that fails however, my preferred method is to use a heat gun and machinists scribe. A decent hobbyists heat gun can be had at a relatively small price from most hobby stores, or you may be able to substitute your wife's hair dryer on the hottest s setting. I don't like the idea of using an open flame, too easy to damage the stem in my opinion. For the scribe just about any auto parts store, farm store or home improvement center should have something suitable, the key is a tapered shank.
Remove the stem and heart the tenon with the heat gun until it begins to soften. Once the tenon is malleable gently insert the scribe into the airway using a twisting motion. Take care not to be too aggressive as it is possible to split the tenon if the scribe's diameter is too large. Let the tenon cool slightly and test fit. If it is still too loose rinse and repeat. If the fit is too snug reheat the tenon and carefully insert it into the mortise to reduce the diameter for a perfect fit.
Best of luck, hope this helps!

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
Boil some water and dip the stem in about a half inch. Then take a drift and push it in carefully. Then try it. Repeat step 1 if not enough.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfvAaMeC66A
I've just heated up the tenon and pushed it against a hard surface, but for a nice pipe you could do this.

natibo

Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
I had a loose bit on a Pipe nI bought from smokingpipes.com. Rather than contacting them, I contacted the pipe maker (Mark Tinsky). He told to send it to him and that he would fix it. He did!

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Bob's video was helpful and resourceful for a person like me who has some tools laying around. I have an estate that I'm going to try his method on.
Thanks for posting that vid Andrew!

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
I fixed a dunhill of mine recently that none of the wax or heat methods worked for. It is now rock solid and tight, even if it is my least favorite smoker. I wrapped the tenon with thin paper and just screwed it into the mortise. Needless to say, I just about never pull the stem, but at least it's tight now.

droot

Lurker
May 22, 2014
I tried the heat and drill bit method and hit a home run on a loose GBD stem.

Thanks for the advice.

rasselass

Lurker
Apr 3, 2014
I always associate "a loose stem" with a pipe that has'nt been smoked in a while and "dried out"..a method i used in the past with good results without harming the stem....Steep the Briar "shank" approx. the length of the stem tenon in cold water for an hour or two(even if it has a collar)...check the "fit" occasionally to the stem ,this usually does the job...as i said its usually probmatic with used pipes not in use...and happens quite a lot in hotter climates or houses with central heating...i've heard of Antique Furniture with Veeners suffering the same fate...moisture drying out,causing shrinkage and expansion.

yorkshirepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
I always recommend Beeswax as well, great for loosening stems and also for tightening stems!
However as a note, try to avoid the beeswax for cars, pure beeswax will work best - I think mine was meant for furniture originally!

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
When I jumped on this post two years ago a fellow member, who happens to be a beekeeper, sent a PM which resulted in me receiving a five year supply of beeswax.
Threads like this make me a little sad. There are so many good members who have fallen by the wayside.
Ah, screw it.
Life marches on, right? But if anybody needs a hunk of beeswax just shoot me a PM.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.