PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
I am naturally a bit frugal by nature. Not cheap exactly, but careful with my limited money.

I don’t like to buy cheap stuff that won’t last. Nothing worse than buying things more than once when you could have just bought the good one the first time.

Don’t worry, I’m winding my way to the point.

With tobacco, I generally buy bulk, but I will buy some tins too if it something I like that isn’t available in bulk. In all the sampling I have done over the last 9-10 months, I have found some blends that I think are really a great value. Blends where I would pay more than the current cost because I really enjoy them.

For me, some blends that I believe punch above their weight (or cost) are Sutliff Edgeworth Ready Rubbed, Sutliff 212 Burley Delight, Stokkebye 41 Cube Cut, Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake, and Newminster 400 Superior Navy Flake. These are also some of my favorite blends.

I could probably name several more, but those are ones that I immediately think of. What are some that you think fall into this category? And by the way, it doesn’t have to be inexpensive tobacco on this list. If you think that a blend that costs more than $80 a pound is still a bargain because it is so much better than other blends, throw that name out there. I’m just curious to see what others think of as “bargain” blends.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I am naturally a bit frugal by nature. Not cheap exactly, but careful with my limited money.

I don’t like to buy cheap stuff that won’t last. Nothing worse than buying things more than once when you could have just bought the good one the first time.

Don’t worry, I’m winding my way to the point.

With tobacco, I generally buy bulk, but I will buy some tins too if it something I like that isn’t available in bulk. In all the sampling I have done over the last 9-10 months, I have found some blends that I think are really a great value. Blends where I would pay more than the current cost because I really enjoy them.

For me, some blends that I believe punch above their weight (or cost) are Sutliff Edgeworth Ready Rubbed, Sutliff 212 Burley Delight, Stokkebye 41 Cube Cut, Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake, and Newminster 400 Superior Navy Flake. These are also some of my favorite blends.

I could probably name several more, but those are ones that I immediately think of. What are some that you think fall into this category? And by the way, it doesn’t have to be inexpensive tobacco on this list. If you think that a blend that costs more than $80 a pound is still a bargain because it is so much better than other blends, throw that name out there. I’m just curious to see what others think of as “bargain” blends.
If you like VaPers, try Sutliff Match Victorian. If you like straight Virginias, try D&R Windsail, Three Sails, C&D Yorktown and Derringer as well as Newminister No. 400 Superior Navy Flake. If you like Virginia and Burley with a touch of Orientals, try C&D Virginia Gentleman. If you want a straight burley, try Sutliff J-4 Burley.

I also recommend Low Country Natural Virginia and Burley as well as their Natural Virginia and Oriental.

There are more, but I tried to pick blends that are usually in stock, and affordable.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If you like VaPers, try Sutliff Match Victorian. If you like straight Virginias, try D&R Windsail, Three Sails, C&D Yorktown and Derringer as well as Newminister No. 400 Superior Navy Flake. If you like Virginia and Burley with a touch of Orientals, try C&D Virginia Gentleman. If you want a straight burley, try Sutliff J-4 Burley.

I also recommend Low Country Natural Virginia and Burley as well as their Natural Virginia and Oriental.

There are more, but I tried to pick blends that are usually in stock, and affordable.
I should have mentioned I think many of the GH bags you can get for $58 (pre-tax) are a good deal. I’ve been getting the DBE, Kentucky and a couple others at that price which works out to $3.29 an ounce.
I’ve always been pretty happy w/Sutliff.
Absolutely on all counts.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I smoke cheap dollar and something an ounce cavendish type candy flavored aromatics all day not to save money, but because they smell great in my office.

There’s not much difference I can taste between Lane’s Smoker’s Pride Cherry Cavendish and Lane’s Cult Blood Red Moon except the one in the little two ounce can costs seven or eight times what the bagged tobacco cost.

The better cherry tobacco is better, but only a bit better, not eight times better.

Where real value kicks in, by my experience, is the finer Va Per blends.

There isn’t a cheap Smoker’s Pride Va Per. Va Per blends must have higher and more expensive grades of leaf to be worth smoking. The makers can’t use cherry syrup to spice them up.

The best value in high grade tobacco is PS 400 Luxury Navy Flake

Six pounds cost $2.50 an ounce.

I don’t think there’s a better tasting Va Per, at any price.

There are different ones, but none better.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast

Well at 1.44 for a single ounce taster I’ve got some D&R on the way, can’t afford not to try it ?‍♂️?

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina

Dang it Jim, now everyone knows about the Low Country blends. I guess I'll be ordering some more pounds before the mad rush...lol
I've been putting away quite a bit of the Va/Bur and Va/Or. It comes pretty fresh but ages wonderfully. They're not complex but they're good for what they are and I find myself reaching for them often. They smoke well above their price point.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Dang it Jim, now everyone knows about the Low Country blends. I guess I'll be ordering some more pounds before the mad rush...lol
I've been putting away quite a bit of the Va/Bur and Va/Or. It comes pretty fresh but ages wonderfully. They're not complex but they're good for what they are and I find myself reaching for them often. They smoke well above their price point.
I agree with all of that.