PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"With flakes, I fold and stuff, light, puff."
Tennsmoker, I have tried that method many times but alas never with success. I suspect there is something very specific about that particular technique that I am missing as it is without doubt a popular method, it just eludes me :?
Regards,
Jay.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
As said before there is no right method. I really think the key is avoiding overpacking which is the real issue here.

Personally I prefer putting the tobacco on my hand and rolling the pipe over it until it's filled. Once it is filled I turn the pipe 5 or times over the palm of my hand using the palm to lightly compress and twist the tobacco. At the end of the process there should be still some sponginess of the tobacco. I leave the pipe packed for at least 5 minutes, then charring light, rest another 5 minutes and then final lighting. Works well for me.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
If I could manage to work out that Ol Codger Scoop method,

and yes as many did say here before, the key factors are to avoid overpacking/Tight pack+ leave tobacco to air some 10-30 prior to smoke,at least following to these simply procedures helped me a lot,and now my tongue feels better''

onefaller

Lurker
Nov 29, 2016
I'm also a rank newbie to pipes, but here's what I do: Pack the bottom 1/3 "good and snug". I use my finger to do it. then pack the middle 1/3 "snug." Then pack the top 1/3 "lightly snug." I'll pull through the unlit bowl to make sure that it's drawing properly.
I relight as necessary as when I smoke a pipe, and I make sure I've got time to enjoy it. I'll puff on it for a bit, let it rest and enjoy the flavors already in my mouth. Heck, there've been times that I just puffed on an empty pipe, and enjoyed the flavors already there.
For me, a bowl is a relaxing and contemplative time.
Blue Skies!

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Jay,

I too have issues with the fold and stuff method so you're definitely not alone.

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
When I first started smoking a pipe, I did all this searching about packing and whatnot- now, the only method I use is pinch and gravity feed it.
Sprinkle it in the bowl, when it gets full I gently press down, then top it off and light. Done.
Flakes? I've tried several ways and I just run out the flake and pack as above.
Plug? Cut off a slice, rub, and pack as above.
This hobby is all about relaxing and finding what works for ya, but the simplest way is the best for me and I've tried them all. Keep it simple.

grue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2016
I'm following an advice I got in here, I think it was Cosmic's. Pack lighter than what you think is light enough. That's it, always works for me.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
https://photos-1.dropbox.com/t/2/AADt6-95A877-NBZOIp5uRcW7K16uZCQtJOnnUNl5mUlyA/12/40060470/jpeg/32x32/3/1481482800/0/2/20161130_223814.jpg/EPXxyB4Ygq0BIAIoAg/qvIwBVe2Z8S-RbFfkU2yWxhU64rtRvuO6yDN_DRmgFM%2C2gvO68AOVdYjoIus_kv95tAldvldFJhfpb_7E86FF58?size_mode=3&dl=0&size=2048x1536

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
With ribbon or shag, I just fill a pipe until the tobacco has about the same sponginess of stale sponge cake.
With cube cut or crumble cake, gravity fill.
Flakes I fold and stuff or cube cut.
Coins I fold and stuff.
Ropes I cut into coins and cube cut.
Plugs I slice into flakes, and treat as flakes.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
What I've found is the diameter of the draft and the cut of the leaf dictate the density of the load. Big draft and ribbon on one end and narrow draft with whole flake on the other.
I think one can get around the guess work with cube cut and a gentle tapping on the bowl to settle and reload or the airpocket method.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
I have found that the "swirl method" works best. It's quick, easy, and consistent. A simple google search will connect you with several video tutorials.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
What I have picked up from a guy on the tube: after the three step ritual put your thumb over the bowl, gently press down, and twist around the bowl's axis 3-4 times. It binds all the loose tobacco threads within the bowl, which for me I have found that it gives me a nice amber. I was skeptic when seeing the video at first, but it actually works ...

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
My advice to any new starter would be try every method, and intentionally vary the packing density. My problem for a long time was packing too lightly, and all the wisdom on the internet said pack lighter, so I was just making it worse.
In fact, vary everything. Vary the dryness of the tobacco, the pipe you use, how hard you pack and tamp, smoking rate. If you've nobody in real life who is experienced and can take the pipe off you and tell you where you've gone wrong, then you need to learn all the mistakes yourself.
When you know what too tight and too loose smokes like, or what happens when you smoke too fast or too slow, or all the other variables, then you can always navigate towards "just right" and tweak things as you go if things aren't going how you like.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
The absolute best way to pack your pipe is to adjust the packing according to moisture and cut, or at least bring each blend to a similar dryness before packing so that similar cuts can be packed the same way each time, otherwise, you will have issues with keeping it lit and burning slow and cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.