PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
After 35 years, it is very difficult to remember all the "perfect" smokes. The latest was completely unexpected, I picked up a tin of Sutliffe "Top Shelf", which is a Virginia blend with Bourbon Whiskey. I smoked it in a new M&M Washington and it was absolutely great! Prior to that, Cerberus was just wowing me in any pipe I put it in.

I guess the most outstanding smoke I have enjoyed in recent months was some Shortcut to Mushrooms in my Peterson Emerald 264, which is a Canadian shape. Then there was some Christmas Cheer 2008 in a Dr. Grabow Royalton around last Christmas....

I guess this question is too tough for me. So many good smokes...

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
When I "got" Mac Baren Mixture, right at the end of 100g tin. I had fiddled with pipes on and off for 10 years. And I got that "honey on toast" taste in the gentle side-stream smoke of a barely lit pipe (instead of sucking and sucking and saying "this is hot and tastes like ashes!"). It went right to my brain stem. Suddenly I got it. Less is more.
Applying the ultra-slow burn technique to other tobaccos released their flavors to an almost overwhelming point. I had learned to smoke a pipe.

tpicking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2011
My best tobacco experience happens every time I place a new order, and then when it arrives and I spend the next few days trying out my new tobaccos. I'm like a kid at Christmas every time I order and try new blends.

Aug 14, 2012
I tried Petersons Sherlock Holmes based on a recommendation, and was surprised at how good it was. Peterson says it is based on something that was popular in the UK at the end of the 19th century. A strange tasting tobacco, mild, comfortable and not really challenging. Perfect for meerschaums. I now keep several Peterson pipes for this tobacco.

whitecloud

Lurker
Sep 13, 2010
I ordered a batch of Shortcut To Mushrooms and was having a godd time with it. Last weekend I decided to pack some Bald Headed Teacher and it really hit me. Maybe it was just my tastebuds getting used to one baccy and then switching up - not sure. I'm really appreciative of everyone's suggestions. It gives me something to shoot for over the next little while. Just as an add, I had someone tell me that Larry's Blend and Black House were two of his favorites. Later...

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
I think mine so far is the whole thing. Learning how to smoke each blend i try. Learning how to pack and how each smoke can vary from the next. Sometimes i get an amazing smoke and other times i wonder why i cannot taste what i tasted in the last bowl. I end up trying to recreate the best experience from smoke to smoke. Sometimes with better results than others.

My current favorite blend is 1792 and sometimes i get a real subtle chocolate taste from it. I find myself each time i pack it hoping for that elusive flavor to hit me.

I got this again last night when i tried the cube cut method but i got much more than that from it. I could taste things i did not recognize and now i have to figure out what those flavors are.
I cannot wait to look back in 10 years and remember all the things my hunk o wood/meerschaum and pipe weed will have taught me.

It really is something special.

whitebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2010
Once upon a time, ducking into a roadside smokeshop/giftshop on the AZ/NM border and finding a shelf in the back groaning with Murray Dunhill tins and Edgeworth Slices. Sort of a Vallhalla moment for me.
Phil
Oh you lucky dog!!
i'm not sure what we are really talking about--best experience with a particular blend or most remembered smoke, regardless of tobacco--
if it is blend or type of tobacco, it was the morning i sat on my front porch with a bowl of Finke's English blend and realized i could actually enjoy it without the severe headache i had always encountered with Latakia blends before--
if we are talking about most memorable smoke it would have to be the pipe i had after coming off a 4 hour guard duty stint--rain and wind, and altho the temp wasn't really cold, the long exposure left me drained and cold--that pipe was wonderful, and i don't even remember the tobacco i was smoking--even if it had been dried tree leaves i think i would have enjoyed it, and likely have fired up another bowl--

Aug 30, 2012
locopony, I had a very similar reaction when I was first exposed to latakia, and now... I too keep a jar of blending latakia around to spice bland blends up a bit.

colcolt

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Autumn Evening hands down with Lousiana Red and Hafling's Leaf following in that order. My top three favorites.

seanavan

Might Stick Around
Jun 14, 2012
After reading the recommendations for Plum Pudding, I'm going to have to try that one again. I bought a tin a few years ago, tried a bowl, and wasn't sold. Since then the tin has been closed up and in the bottom of a box.
My own moment of pipe nirvana came while on a motorcycle road trip with a friend. We stopped at a little pipe shop in Bellingham, WA. While sniffing all the jars of tobacco they had, I found and English called 'London Blend' that smelled amazing. It had and earthy, camp fire, musky aroma that was incredible. We bought the half pound that was left and tried it that night. Absolutely amazing stuff. Tastes amazing, smells amazing, and has gotten nice compliments wherever I've smoked it. I love trying new ones but still smoke it 80% of the time. When up in Seattle to see friends, I even drove the extra 80 miles up to the shop to get more.

kalc

Might Stick Around
Sep 7, 2012
The first bowl of latakia that i smoked - Dunhill 965 - i was initially horrified at the odour. But in a fews days i realised i was craving it - now i am searching for the strongest and boldest latakia blends :P

Status
Not open for further replies.