PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
Getting a lot of good suggestions here, thanks gentlemen. Seems like Southern Comfort is winning out.

Next year I'll be making my own, but for now, I'll go with the cheaper option of buying a ready made one.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Here in Spain, in the old days, perhaps in the 60's to the 80's, you would have a beaten punch, with eggs, milk, brandy or red wine, a little coffee, and sugar to taste. It was an energy drinker, before going to work. I think that it would also go perfect with a good high-proof bourbon. Although I never tried it.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Here in western Virginia there is a regional dairy (Homestead Creamery) that makes the best store-bought eggnog (and boiled custard) I've ever had. They also sell all products in returnable glass bottles, which is kinda retro cool.

Both the eggnog and boiled custard are great with a shot of bourbon or rye.

Reactions: JOHN72 and NomadOrb

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
Man, I'm sorry , but I don't know, I have never partaken of this drink called egg nog, and probably never will, Raw eggs and cream sounds like a bad case of never ending liquid squirts with a burning sensation that never goes away, My Parents used to drink it, and both died at an early age, but not related to egg nog, and that's the truth, Just my personal experience. YMMV. God Bless and Take care.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I tried the southern comfort, Evan Williams, and Pennsylvania Dutch egg jogs.

Southern comfort isn't spiked, and it's a bit too sweet for my tastes. Pennsylvania Dutch is good, but the alcohol takes a back seat and is hardly noticeable. The Evan Williams was just right for me, thick and creamy, but the bourbon was present with every sip.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Reactions: NomadOrb

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
With all the different boozes that would be an expensive recipe to whip up.

It's not really expensive. This year, I used Bacardi white rum, Four Roses bourbon, and E&J XO Brandy. All in, about $80-90 with tax for booze which netted me 7 quarts. There are a few fingers left in the bourbon and brandy bottles after the recipe, so while I will just save the cheapo Brandy for next year's eggnog, I will sip through the rest of the bourbon this winter.

It's not free, but unless you're using top shelf liquor, it's all very affordable for what you get, IMO.