PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Excluding Galaxy Quest, my favorites are The Motion Picture, The Voyage Home, Generations, First Contact, and Insurrection. I like all three of the Kelvin time line movies.

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
TNG had one episode I don't remember the title of (having only seen it once) which had several of the spacegoing species competing to follow a disjointed set of DNA sequences to solve a puzzle. That's all it took for me to think that script ought to have been saved and expanded on to make a Star Trek film. The fact that one of the competitors committed planetary genocide by incinerating all its life forms to destroy all the clues in their DNA was treated as a throw-away line, for crying out loud!

Probably for me, Wrath of Khan as well. Those last three re-boot films were more mindless-continuous-action-too-fast-to-follow-clearly than they were actual Star Trek.

JoeW

Might Stick Around
Apr 1, 2024
Upper Peninsula, Michigan, USA
The best Star Trek movie is certainly Star Trek V: The Half-Naked Catgirl of the Generic Desert Planet.

But really, it's Wrath of Khan. The Undiscovered Country comes in a close second, but it doesn't have quite the heart of 2.

Despite its plot holes, Wrath of Khan has:
  • the connection to the original series,
  • young, cute Kirstie Alley as the one true Saavik,
  • aging Kirk who's still able to beat the odds,
  • Spock sacrificing himself for the crew,
and maybe most of all:
  • Ricardo Montalban as Khan.

Then there's James Horner's soundtrack, which really suited the pacing and action. I had it on cassette and wore it out.

Plus the nostalgia aspect: I saw Wrath of Khan in the theater when I was in high school; in 2017, I took my son to the theater for the 35th anniversary release when he was in high school. They showed an extra reel of cast interviews along with the movie. Montalban mentioned that people often asked him about his prosthetic chest, but it was real.

The Undiscovered Country was almost as good, but didn't quite have the personality (or personalities). It was a great way to end Star Trek.

Reactions: renfield

JoeW

Might Stick Around
Apr 1, 2024
Upper Peninsula, Michigan, USA
TNG had one episode I don't remember the title of (having only seen it once) which had several of the spacegoing species competing to follow a disjointed set of DNA sequences to solve a puzzle. That's all it took for me to think that script ought to have been saved and expanded on to make a Star Trek film. The fact that one of the competitors committed planetary genocide by incinerating all its life forms to destroy all the clues in their DNA was treated as a throw-away line, for crying out loud!

I've only seen a few episodes of TNG, but I remember this one: it deserved an entire movie rather than a 50 minute episode. It was certainly better than that abomination of a movie where the ship went into combat controlled by a joystick.

Reactions: Streeper541