PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

travelergypsy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2016
I just had the best smoke yet. (Of my one week of pipe smoking) I had flavor. I can't tell you what flavor it was, but it was flavor not chemical burning taste. I started the smoke while studying for my job qualifications, and wasn't thinking about the smoke. And boom. Flavor! It was awesome! Just had to brag a bit.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
Congratulations. Your feet are firmly planted on the path to enjoying the vast world of pipe tobacco. Enjoy every road you go down. Just out of curiosity, what tobacco did you smoke?

travelergypsy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2016
I was smoking Captain Black Original.I ordered a MM Country Gentleman, and some 1Q, as well as CH I am looking forward to trying out. My current pipe was a flop buy, a $18 basket pipe from a cigar shop. (I know) I didn't know jack about what I was looking for. But I can get some semblance of flavor from it, something I think should only improve with better pipes and better tobacco.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
@ travelergypsy, You'll do well with the items you ordered. In case you might be interested in trying a bunch of different quality tobaccos, I put this post up today which you may want to check out.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/wtt-8-oz-of-various-tobacco-for-jackknife-plug-51816

downr4nge

Lurker
May 22, 2016
I have plenty of tobaccos. Frog Morton, Mississippi River, etc. I've been finding out that Dunhill MM965 is my favorite. I've been finding out that I really like Latakia blends.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
If you had that kind of experience with Captain Black Regular, you're doing something right.
Suggestion ... try a 50/50 mix of 1Q and Carter Hall. Then let us know what you think. :puffy:

travelergypsy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2016
I have since acquired two MM cobs, and two briars, and quite a few ounce or two ounce packets of different blends. Favorites so far: Dunhill EMP, C&D Autumn Evening, Orlik Racing Green, and the occasional 1Q. (although 1Q is the blend I go to when I can't decide on anything else, and I just want to have a smoke. Not the best flavor, not the worst. just neutral.)

dkaye201

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
@travelergypsy: about those basket pipes... Two of the best smoking pipes I own were basket pipes. They have no nomenclature other than "imported briar." They continue to be in my rotation, and I would never sell them. It just goes to show that you can find a pearl in an ugly clam.

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
i like lane 1q, and i sip the pipe and i get lots of flavor that way, or breath it out through you nose and you can really taste the flavor, i love retro-haling when i smoke shortcut to mushrooms.

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
Yes yes I know, I have been using my phone to type in the forums lately and I am no expert in typing on my phone, I have big thumbs.

travelergypsy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2016
@hextor: Phones are the worst. I always have trouble with autocorrect or some other form of "smart" technology when on my phone.

geraldt

Lurker
Jul 13, 2016
Been only smoking for a short while. Best I have smoked is watch city slices and Chatham manor so far. Samples were provided to me by Member codecreatively. Sent me 7 samples for free I paid postage. There are good people here to help.

lotharen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2016
That's awesome! Back in North Carolina, Fayetteville to be exact; there was a mall. In '96 they had a tobacco shop, can't for the life of me remember the name. I was able to bring my pipe in and sample all the tobacco they had to sell - one bowl full, no more.
I landed on a aromatic - wet tobacco the sells man said. I think the flavor was possibly a cherry. It was my favorite...Ill never forget that one - or the one that tasted like grass from someones lawn!

Status
Not open for further replies.