PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dLpiper

Lurker
Jun 2, 2021
I read in these forums and elsewhere that rope or twist tobacco (are those terms interchangeable?) was chewed by sailors/miners back in the day, and that some people still do it.

Wanting to give my lungs a break, I recently decided to try this, and bought some Gawith ropes: Brown Irish X and Whiskey Twist.

Yesterday I cut a coin of the Brown Irish yesterday and popped it in - it was pretty strong stuff. The flavor and smell are very earthy/bitter. There's a very strong nic hit/tingle, and maybe a soapy/chemical flavor that I wasn't sure whether it was something they treat the baccy with. I was a bit nauseous at first but that settled and I managed to chew/park it for a while. Not terrible but wasn't in a rush to do it again.

This evening I tried the Whiskey Twist and - much better experience. Less harshness, the whiskey (which you can smell on the rope) and even some sweetness comes through and there's a more pleasant taste while still getting a big nic hit. I could see doing this more often.

Still haven't tried smoking the ropes, but the experience got me intrigued about this unique way of consuming the leaf.

What have people's experiences been with this kind of chewing of rope/twist tobaccos? Is there a particular kind you enjoy the most or are best suited to chewing?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
what might be even more helpful is getting a more detailed description of the prep involved in getting a rope ready for a chaw. Including how much one uses how they use it. Do you use it like a dip or like loose leaf? Often times there is more joy in using tobacco just right then picking the just right product.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I chew a lot. In terms of chewing the flavored twists from G&H will work pretty well. Bonus point for you here, I am told that 'back in the day' men would chew the tobacco and then put it in their hat to dry out and then it would get smoked in the pipe a bit later. Give that a whirl since it seems like an excellent way of reducing your carbon foot print. As others have commented 'Cotton Ball' is one of those chews you can nibble on as well as put in your pipe. Other good ones are Mammoth Cave Twist and I sure there are others, just remember at lot of chewing tobacco will not work in a pipe due to the high content of sweeteners.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
S
what might be even more helpful is getting a more detailed description of the prep involved in getting a rope ready for a chaw. Including how much one uses how they use it. Do you use it like a dip or like loose leaf? Often times there is more joy in using tobacco just right then picking the just right product.
Slice off a piece, stick it in your bottom lip, it's more of a let it sit in your lip, you don't actually chew it. I'm sure you could grind it into fine cut with a coffee grinder etc, but really I'm sure originally you just took a piece and put it in your lip.

Reactions: anotherbob

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
I’ve chewed Brown Twist, Cherry Twist, Rum Twist, and Whisky Twist. I like them all but Whisky Twist is my favorite so far. It’s funny that I don’t like to smoke Whisky Twist but it’s my favorite chew as of now.

I do enjoy smoking all the other twists/ropes. Mmmm, Gawith ropes are calling me now.

Reactions: dublinpiper90

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I will check around. All the grocery store twists I’ve tried have been very crispy and dry, just so you know.
That is the issue. Several years ago @weezel got his hands on a box that had to be rehydrated. If you find a fresh and pliable version please do keep me in mind! Thank you for thinking of me and my horrible habits!