PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
I have a preference for straight pipes of less than 40g and less than 5" long. A saddle stem is a bonus but not deal breaker.

I find a lovat is about the perfect pipe, for me, for clenching.

Reactions: kurtbob

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
Saddle stems seem to work better with me, as well.

That said, the Savinelli 673 shape is one of the most comfortable clenchers I've ever smoked. Other brands make similar shapes.

Ymmv.

fishfly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2014
Dubuque, Iowa
For me, a saddle stem, especially vulcanite, won't last very long. I have at least a half dozen saddle stems in my "send off for repair" box that have been bitten through--usually done while getting out of the truck with a pipe clenched and chomping down on it as I hit the ground a little too hard. I might be able to prevent that by growing a few inches taller, or buying a sedan, but I don't forsee either of those things happening.

I love my twin bores.

Reactions: JMcQ

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
I really like the look of straight pipes, but my bent pipes get much more use because of clenchability. I put rubber bits on my pipes to make it easier. I don't ever bite the stem, but the little nub sits snugly behind my teeth and keeps the pipe hanging there.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Acrylic saddle stem, under 50 grams (that's approx. 1.76 ounces in the parlance of countries which have put a man on the moon).

I'm an unabashed BriarWorks fanboy, but I have to give a plug for their straight apple shape, which is the perfect clencher to me. Though I also like some of their bent pipes for clenching.
BriarworksApple.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I pretty much clench exclusively. My weight limit is usually 2 oz. Length has a lot to do with it, that stem/shank act as lever arms. As the majority of the weight in in the bowl, the further out it is, the more difficult the pipe is to clench. So most of my pipes are 5 /12" long or less. I like a wide, thin mouthpiece. The mouthpiece has more effect even than the weight. I hate the ones that are thin and oval, nearly impossible for me to clench.

The carvers I favor make nice mouthpieces, comfortable clenchers. Rad Davis, Jose Rubio, Ryan Alden, Larrysson and Cermak all know how to cut a stem and drill a pipe right.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
My preference for clenching when pre-occupied is a bent pipe. Regarding bent pipes for clenching, i like Peterson system pipes. The moisture trap is effective and keeps the smoke dry. Also, i rarely have to use a pipe cleaner.

I use a q-tip head, clipping off the cotton head & dropping it inside the well. After the smoke, I’ll dump out the soaked tip.

Reactions: rushx9

Dissident_Mantis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2020
I like stubby pipes for clenching. Briarworks owns Moonshine pipes and I am pretty sure this line is designed to be clenched by hardworking Appalachian men. If you want to go cheaper than that there are some decent pipes in the Morgan Bones line that do just fine. If you want to go more expensive, your classic Dunhill Billiard can be clenched comfortably. I'll even throw in an estate Royal Band Weber pipe as a wild card option, for some reason these always feel really light to me.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I clench almost all the time. 50 grams and under works and I have t o have a hand made stem that is thin and flat. For me the stem is the most crucial aspect when clenching.

Reactions: kurtbob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Unless I'm buying an intentionally large pipe that inevitably carries a little more weight I tend toward lighter weight pipes, just for ease of clenching while doing something else. I like all sizes of pipes, though I'm not a massive guy so I don't go for huge pipes. But a big bowl is sometimes good for longer smokes, or sustained intermittent smokes. A deep bend does reduce the leverage and makes a big bowled pipe much lighter to the teeth.

Status
Not open for further replies.