PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdoss16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2019
i notice that im always doing something while smoking - working on my comp, reading, playing w my phone etc, and i always tend to clench and have both hands free. some of my current pipes are just way to heavy and i feel like at this rate ill need some dental work if i keep clenching. any reommendations on either very light pipes or styles/designs that tend to be better suited for clenching?

IMO 98% of the pipes on the market can be clenched just fine. Some people have weaker jaws and necks, where anything over 2oz will snap their pencil necks like a twig... JK... I think that 2oz and under probably makes for the most comfortable clenchers, but I have quite a few in the 3-5oz range that are well balanced enough to clench just fine. It is going to be more about YOUR personal preferences.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
For me personally, I prefer bent Bulldogs and valcanos for cleaching. May look into some older kaywoodie drinkless. I used to have one that was light as hell.

Reactions: Elric

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
Weight is definitely a factor for me as I clench 95% of the time. You also have to be careful with length as even a lightweight briar that is too long will make it feel heavier than it really is.

Reactions: macaroon

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Short shanks and stems make for less leverage against the teeth, as do deeply bent pipes like Hungarian/Oom-Paul. Lighter weight pipes are of course the best clenchers. I'd say 1.5 ounces is tops if you are really serious about it, and there are plenty of pipes at about 1 oz or somewhat less that still have sufficient bowls for a good smoke. MM cob makes some short pipes with acrylic stems (for longevity) and ample medium bowls that also fill the bill. In briar, there are many choices, the Stanwell bulldog 32 for one of hundreds of examples, available in various finishes and series.

Reactions: macaroon and Casual

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
For me since I work with my hands as a mechanic, Weight is the biggest factor. I like thinner narrow bits. Probably the 2 pipes I own the most of for that reason are Savinelli’s 701 Lovats and good ole MM cobs.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You younger guys, defined for this purpose as under age 50 or so, probably wonder what the problem is about clenching heavy pipes. Well, here's a clue. My wife and I often quote a friend of hers who said, "After a certain age, having teeth is fiscally irresponsible." The advantage of light weight pipes is explained in two words: Old teeth.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I have come to prefer bent pipes for this very reason. My best clenchers are half or full bent billiards. Shapes like Stanwell 83, Savinelli 602 and 614.
If it is bent and well balanced, you can afford a little more weight. Lightweight pipes can be a little demanding to smoke as they'll get hot very easily.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My mother, rest her soul, instilled in me, at a very young age, great habits for oral hygiene. I have my 32 allotted, age 73, and clinch using only the back molars. Little to no jaw pressure is required as the pipes seem to rest just fine without clamping most of the time. If I am working a chainsaw or some such, a bit of pressure is required to keep the pipe in place. Most of my pipes have comfortable indentations after a few years and find their place. In my youth I would sometimes chew through a bit but, they were easily replaceable so no, no harm.

All that said, I only have pipes that are bent to some degree or another as I find them the most comfortable.

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
I agree with the Bent, short and light pipes, but I do find having a slimmer bit helps. When something is a bit chunky and the jaw has to be held a little open I find it more demanding. The slimmest bit I have ever seen is my Dr Boston bulldog and it's amazing.

Reactions: Casual and rdoss16

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I find my Canadian very clenchable. The Vauen bent billard I have though clenches so so so easily. If their other pipes are as light they should also be a great clencher. I don't tend to clench for long but with the Vauen sometimes I do just cause it works so wonderful, how could I not.

rdoss16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2019
In addition to paying attention to weight you may also want to look into pipes with twin bore stems. I’m not sure if they still make them but Radice made quite a few at one point.
actually have a twin bore thats gonna arrive on thurs this is good news.

Reactions: tfdickson

rdoss16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2019
I agree with the Bent, short and light pipes, but I do find having a slimmer bit helps. When something is a bit chunky and the jaw has to be held a little open I find it more demanding. The slimmest bit I have ever seen is my Dr Boston bulldog and it's amazing.
yup, slimmer the bit the better for me. def something im going to keep in mind when purchasing pipes moving forward

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
For me, it's the weight, and where the weight is; the closer to the body, the less it will pull. Thus, full bents and Hungarians even if over 50 grams can be good clenchers.

Reactions: cossackjack
Status
Not open for further replies.