PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

javajunkie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2013
The Tsuge Kaga (sandblast) in question was a recent aquisition to my new but growing stable. It was shorter than i expected, and the stem feels a little thin to me, but it burns perfectly well and is a joy to look at, hold, and clench, so i am chalking it up as a win. Honestly, thinking of picking up another in the near future, TBH. Also, with a hundo to play with, you can pick up some tobacco to go with! o)
Happy hunting, and hope you enjoy the find.

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
I just saw this post. and it made me smile

Stanwell! Stanwell! Stanwell!
(Mainly because I've never had a bad one.)

Gotta love a man that knows what he likes :) It made me go look.

I added this one to the wish list :)

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/stanwell/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=111134

I like the "S" with a crown on it ;)

So you know I'll have a Stanwell :D

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
I saw Luciano mentioned several times. I like the look of them and they call to me.
I'd like my next briar to be a Luciano of about the same price range mentioned here. Anyone have recomendations for a specific Luciano?

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
Boswell Nose Warmer

I went to the site. I like that they can do custom laser art. I think that could feminize any "manly" pipe.

Thanks for the head's up :)

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
Misu- That last Tsuge you linked, while not for me pipe wise, is some pretty classic looking Japanese art. Keep in mind the Japanese would decorate their swords with flowers like the cherry blossom which had some very important symbolism to their society.

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
Big pipes = woman smoker = doesn't "fit" IMO.
Didnt really think of chamber size being an issue or a requirement, I was just relating experience on pipes that I have had good luck with.
:rofl: This made me giggle like a 7th grader for reasons that are probably more than PG-13 That made my day!! :D
I did go to P&C and like their selection of Roma's, Baraccini's and Bjarne Viking's. The problem I seem to have on P&C is that all the pipes that catch my eye are sold out :/ Maybe this will change in the nearer future.

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
I would also throw into the hat Invicta Briars

They have some really nice looking pipes :)
Happy hunting, and hope you enjoy the find.

Thank you :)
I saw Luciano mentioned several times.

I'd like my next briar to be a Luciano of about the same price range mentioned here. Anyone have recomendations for a specific Luciano?

I don't have a specific one. They're nice pipes! But here are a couple of links:

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/luciano/index.cfm

http://cigarsandpipes.com/pipes/pipes-a-m/luciano.html

Good luck in your quest and welcome to the forums :D

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Everyone has given some really great advice. Misu I'd take a look at that Tsuge Banjo posted. Check out Al Pascia's link on the left (sponsor). He has some great prices on new pipes even considering they are in Europe. It's surprising sometimes how low I see some of his items compared to others. (and you can search by cost too)
The hunt is half the fun sometimes.

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
Misu- That last Tsuge you linked, while not for me pipe wise, is some pretty classic looking Japanese art. Keep in mind the Japanese would decorate their swords with flowers like the cherry blossom which had some very important symbolism to their society.

Now I'm going to have to look up Japanese floral symbolism. I think it would probably line up with the symbolism used in family crests. It makes for some really interesting reading.

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
misu,

Read the Tsuge Tankard 50 Smokes post, I believe this will fit your requirement nicely but you'll need to dig around as pricing varies but I found mine within the range you are looking for. Regards....

banjo

I will :)

I have to say, here, that now when I see bamboo stems, I think of you.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/tsuge-tankard-50-smokes-report

Nice review! Very thorough and clear.

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
Everyone has given some really great advice. Misu I'd take a look at that Tsuge Banjo posted. Check out Al Pascia's link on the left (sponsor). He has some great prices on new pipes even considering they are in Europe. It's surprising sometimes how low I see some of his items compared to others. (and you can search by cost too)
The hunt is half the fun sometimes.
Nice site! The hunt IS half the fun!! :)

There is a lot of good info in this thread. I appreciate it all. That's one of the many reasons why I come here. I get good, honest, answers.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
+1 on the Tsuge. I've got a smooth bent bull dog I bought from S&P for about 50 bucks and it's the best pipe I've got so far. Better than my Peterson that cost twice the price.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
My vote would be for Savinelli or Stanwell. Both are proven makers of pipes.
I haven't smoked my girly pipe yet I'm not sure which tobacco to use in it yet.
I highly recommend you start using that pipe ASAP. IMHO, I wouldn't worry too much about dedicating it or tainting it with a tobacco. Just choose a tobacco you like and light her up!

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
I highly recommend you start using that pipe ASAP. IMHO, I wouldn't worry too much about dedicating it or tainting it with a tobacco. Just choose a tobacco you like and light her up!

I will, but won't certain tobaccos color it differently? I know brown is brown, but there are different hues of brown. I'm thinking that a black Cavendish would color it really dark whereas a Virginia may color it lighter.

Jul 12, 2011
+1 on Stanwell and I even see some really nice Mastro de Paja's

listing around $110. ,but are 9mm filter ones

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/mastro-de-paja/index.cfm

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
+1 on Stanwell and I even see some really nice Mastro de Paja's

listing around $110. ,but are 9mm filter ones
The Smooth Bent Rhodesian is a nice one. A little out of my price range, unless it's a birthday or Christmas present ... or Mother's Day :D

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/mastro-de-paja/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=113164

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Be lazy and don't bother with learning pipe smoking techniques and get a Falcon. For a hundred bucks you can get more bowls for it than one. They smoke really well if looks aren't the "main" thing.
(better hide quickly before the wrath of the forums get me)
Big pipes = woman smoker = doesn't "fit" IMO.
BS.

estumpf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2013
I bought my wife a Peterson Tankard pipe years ago when she kiddingly said she'd like a pipe. She would take a puff from my pipe from time to time. She like it a lot, if I would pack the pipe for her. She was the same way when we would go fishing. I would do all the work of baiting the hook, taking the fish off the hook, and baiting the hook again. She's real good at catching fish. Give that a thought, it's well under a hundred.

Aug 14, 2012
The only $100 briars I smoke are the Hilson Vintage pipes. They cost about $106 at alpascia, there will be delivery & import charges though. They are made from very well aged briar and ebonite stems. I have 4 of them and am smoking one now. It is the best buy I have seen recently. I have not tried the recently made Hilsons & would like tohear from someone who has. The other alternative in that price range would be a small simple meerschaum.

Status
Not open for further replies.