PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gryphon

Lurker
Sep 22, 2014
Best Menthol (Roll your own..) Cigarette/Pipe Tobacco discussion..
There seems to be a lack of real reviews (on the net) in regards to the best menthol pipe tobacco, so I thought I would give reviews of everything I have tried. Also, If anyone has suggestions as to a great menthol brand you like and you believe i should try let me know.
Starting with the worst, ending with the best.

1) Score 2/10 Sparrow (Blend No. 23 Menthol): This has got to be the worst Menthol Pipe tobacco I have ever smoked. First off I'd like to say I've read several claims this blend taste's like Camel Crush, not true. Here is how I would describe this blend, mind you this description is from recent use and that I only use tubes (Zen LIGHT 100's). Smell: Almost non-distinct, in other words hard to tell if it's menthol or not. Taste: Although there is a trace of menthol it is very slight. The taste is mild, but the effects of the actual smoking of this tobacco left me confounded because although it is not harsh it leaves you feeling noticeably mild (even temporarily drained) as if the effects of the smoking of this tobacco has a mild sedative effect. It also hit's you hard, in fact I have never smoked a RYO besides Sparrow which raised my blood pressure the way Sparrow Blend No. 23 menthol did. I should finalize this review by stating I have never experienced this type of uncomfortability or had a noticeable spike in blood pressure from any other RYO pipe tobacco unless I was smoking (for one reason or another) back to back. Stay away from this brand, that's my recommendation. The bag was fresh, the tobacco also seemed fresh and finely cut, but the effects of this pipe tobacco along with the taste are a waste of money. Again, this is my opinion. My detailed account of how this tobacco was.
2) Score 5/10 Four Aces Mint: This to me is a very generic menthol pipe tobacco in terms of taste and quality. Overall I would say in terms of taste it is a medium draw with a slight taste of menthol (not mint) which has strength leaves no desirable aftereffect of wanting to come back for more in terms of taste or quality. At least not for the person who is trying to replace regular cigarettes for a brand of ryo menthol tobacco knowing there has to be better out there. Not much else to say about this blend or brand besides it is standard at best.
3) Score 6/10 Smoking Joe's: Although I would say this brand/blend is 1-2 steps above the very low quality of menthol pipe tobacco in comparison to the previous two mentioned, I have no choice but to categorize this brand/blend just above medium quality. The taste is not harsh, in fact for the first 5-10 cigarettes

you may feel slightly satisfied, but it to me in terms of taste and quality it was NOT something I could keep on smoking again and again, let alone buying it over and over again. The taste of menthol in this brand is slightly menthol however and is not particularly bothersome unless you have so smoke them above 2 weeks without actually having a break from the monotony. I would only buy this again if I had to and had no other chance to buy a better menthol ryo pipe tobacco brand which in fact is what happened to me once.
4) Score 6/10 Ohm Mint: Ohm mint is the only brand I have ever smoked which smells strongly of mint and has a noticeably mint like aftertaste. The only problem I had with this is it is just a little to rough to continuously smoke as a regular brand. I would say this brand is somewhat harsh in fact, but I think it's a brand that would likely go well blending it with another brand of pipe tobacco because the presence of mint is one in which is apparent and pleasing. Again, Ohm mint is harsh, but I would not say it is overbearing unless you have nothing else to smoke. The actual presence and taste of mint is somewhat of a rarity in my limited experiences with "menthol" pipe tobacco is something that was not overlooked.
5) Score 7/10 Cherokee Menthol: This brand is a very good brand, above average. In fact if hydrated properly even better. I would not say the taste of menthol is either over or under-bearing, it's just right, neither too strong or weak. Cherokee menthol is solid, however I after smoking it for almost a year I would say I believe in terms of quality and taste it is the perfect brand to try and experiment mixing with other brands if you want more menthol or mint. You could use menthol tubes, but I personally would not suggest it as it might be over-powering. In fact If your tastes so far seem similar to mine, that you only use light 100's tubes from Zen (preferably) or Gambler. This brand of menthol if I would try to compare it to a regular cigarette, I could not. It's just too fresh and too refined a tobacco to compare it with "chemicalized" store bought cigarettes, but the strength is just between a camel crush and a newport, in particular if it's getting dry. I should probably state that once it's hydrated properly as with with most RYO pipe tobacco's it tastes even better. As with many tobacco's the occasional stem will be present inside the bag which should always remain sealed to keep the air out. This would be a good brand to mix 1/3 ohm mint if you felt the need to "switch gears".
5) Score 7/10 The Good Stuff menthol Gold: This is also an above average brand of menthol, but I should state if you do not want to be overwhelmed by the strength you get The Good Stuff Gold compared to The Good Stuff menthol. There is a difference, the later being the normal menthol and menthol gold being the lighter of the two. I would say in terms of quality of smoke the taste is somewhat comparable to a Salem or a Newport light without the additional chemicals (often referred to as fillers). I would say this brand is medium in strength and the taste of menthol is present, perhaps a trace of mint. It can be overbearing, but only if the tobacco becomes very dry and you pack it too loose. Again this brand is above average as Cherokee menthol, I would not say they taste the same but the quality of each is almost directly comparable to one another besides the extra "oomph" of menthol if the tobacco is properly hydrated. I have been mixing The Good Stuff Gold 1/2 and 1/2 with Cherokee menthol and I would say it takes both brands a step above the level they were alone. I recommend using a light filter with all of these brands if your tastes seem similar to my own. Preferably Zen white tubes in the light blue box, or Gambler (black and gold box). The reason I making sure to note this is for the newbies out there. If you get a menthol filter or a full flavored filter you might just have a horrible experience. In a nutshell unless you like your smokes super-strong avoid orange ended filters.
Thanks for reading my humble reviews. I could not find many real review on many websites (at all), the only thing I found was for the most part on online tobacco shops which for the most part only really made comment's about the store they bought from, or made a passing comment like ''good tobacco, will try again''. All I could think of when trying to find a new menthol tobacco when I read those reviews was SPARE ME, i basically did this for the newbies out there trying to find a good menthol brand, but again If anyone has a NEW suggestion they really like and think I should try, let me know. I'm always looking for a better brand.
***I apologize for any typos in advance. I wrote this in one sitting and do not have time to proofread it.

gryphon

Lurker
Sep 22, 2014
Correction: Regarding The "smell" of Sparrow (Blend No. 23 green).
Upon the re-opening of the new bag to see If my description the aroma was accurate I realized my initial description of the smell being "non-distinct" is erroneous. It definitely has the smell of menthol, however I should note even though the purchase is very recent and the tobacco "seems" fresh (not dry), that the aroma of menthol/mint also is permeated by acrid smell of the tobacco itself. It's almost as if the menthol mint like smell and the quality of the tobacco are at war with eachother and trying to cancel eachother out. I've thought about this, and this is the best possible way I can describe it. Sparrow is definitely low quality tobacco.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Eons ago, my older sister smoked menthol cigarettes. Old cigarette smoke smell is generally pretty depressing,

but menthol tops all in terms of being a mood killer. It is probably just association, but I am glad menthol isn't

a standard flavoring in pipe tobacco. I associate it with cough drops which do loosen up the mucus membranes

and sometimes allow sleep when a cough would otherwise prevent it. The medicinal association doesn't charm

me for a pipe smoking flavor. But it may be my problem.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I have a definitive answer. As menthol is extracted from different mint plants I performed this experiment for the members, taking one for the team as it were.
I got a box of GS Thin Mints from the freezer, let it thaw, rubbed it out and carefully packed a 300 year old Dunhill shell. The room note was not unacceptable but . . . I had a terrible time keeping it lit, gooped up the tamper after something fierce after the charring light. Very hard to smoke, Impossible in fact. I can assure each of you that pipe cleaners are useless after trying mint and suggest, at a minimum, a 2000psi pressure cleaner.
The up side is that, on its own, the mint blends perfectly with the chocolate. The crunchy interior provides a wonderful mouth feel. All and all, mint can make a great cookie or companion with a rack of lamb, it can ease chest congestion when rubbed on or vaporized (Here's a suggestion: load up a pipe with a favored blend, put a little Vicks on the vaporizer fire up the pipe and sit, hunched over the vaporizer. Couldn't hurt!), and in a cigarette I suppose it is fine for the ladies. A real man smokes his Luckys or unfiltered Camels.
Maybe it was too moist and needs to sit, box open for a day or two. I would give that a try but an open box of Thin Mints won't last a day if I'm around. Someone else will have to take that bullet.
I should also mention that I keep boxes of the Thin Mints "cellared" in the freezer so that I do not run out from one sale season to another. Girl Scouts are heartless! Once a year they come out and push their product for a couple of weeks. Then you can hunt from one street corner to the other and the little pushers of sweets have simply disappeared.

mromagna

Lurker
Aug 4, 2014
I too enjoy a good menthol pipe tobacco. I actually like mint or menthol in all its various forms. I can tell u that Cris cross can be added to your don't go there list. I actually wouldn't have rated Cherokee as high, I like a cool flavor and it just seemed heavy. I'll give to gibe the good stuff gold a shot. Let me know if you try any others u like

cuchulain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2014
Massachusetts
"Pipe tobacco". Does anyone ever actually smoke these in a pipe? My mother-in-law buys pounds of the Tin Star brand to roll into cigs. Makes my blood boil, as when the Feds start cracking down on shipping pipe tobacco like they did with moist snuff, the blame will be squarely laid at the feet of the RYO crowd.

/end rant.
Warren, that was hilarious.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Old cigarette smoke smell is generally pretty depressing,

but menthol tops all in terms of being a mood killer.
My first job was a bus-boy at an Elby's restaurant. This was the early 80's when smoking was still permitted in restaurants. That's where I discovered the foulest odor I've known in all my 48 years - a menthol cig dropped in coffee with cream. There aren't words to describe the bitter, sour, ashy, needle-sharp stink produced...

gryphon

Lurker
Sep 22, 2014
This is a NEW Review of the new "menthol" tobacco from the distributor of Cherokee released mid OCT/2014...

Score 7/10 Arrowhead menthol
: Once again I have decided to write another FULL review on a "menthol" tobacco. Before I begin I must state I am only doing this because there seems to be a LACK of FULL reviews on "menthol" pipe tobacco, and I feel it might help SOMEONE out. If they exist, I can't find them. The irony of this is that I plan on quitting smoking altogether to get in better shape. The truth IS none of us should be smoking. I guess, well see how that goes, but for now on with the review.

Arrowhead is a NEW menthol pipe tobacco from the manufactures of Cherokee "products".
It just came out OCT/2014 and SINCE Cherokee menthol is one of my main go to's I thought I would buy some and tell everyone about it. The bags of Arrowhead only come in 9oz. The draw is full however it is medium bodied as Cherokee menthol with an favorable somewhat more flavorable trace of menthol not so unlike Cherokee menthol itself but with a noticeable yet slight trace of fresh mint.
All in all it kind of reminds me of a Salem menthol is Salem menthol made their cigarettes the right way. At the same time, I almost do not want to compare it to salem because it is a natural product without the additives which makes MOST store bought cigarettes terrible, overpowering, too expensive etc. Arrowhead has an even balance which like Cherokee does not leave you feeling dizzy either. No bad aftertaste present.
It's very hard to describe this brand but i believe i have done the best i can. The only difference between this brand and Cherokee is a slight fresh zing somewhere in between menthol and mint feel. Lastly, i recommend this product HOWEVER i do not ever recommend buying it from any other source than online for two reasons.
1) Based on my experience when I buy store bought RYO tobacco it is almost* always dry.

2) Because of this the product not only needs hydrating you lose 30-40% of it's contents to shake as the contents of the bag become once dry break apart while inside the bag.
The bag was fresh as could possibly be upon opening...

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I, on occasion, have bought a pack of menthol smokes for when I have a chest cold. I'm not trying to make a joke, I true find menthol cigarettes easier on the lungs when ill. Maybe its just me though.

Status
Not open for further replies.