PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
Boswell pipes look nice, but there is only one under $120 on the site. It's a nice looking poker, but if its not what one is looking for then Boswell isn't in the price range.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
There aren't many truly custom pipe makers in that range anymore.
However, if you don't mind more traditional shapes, you could look into Clark Layton's Sloth Series or Trevor Talbert's Ligne Bretagne. I've seen a few posted on facebook in that general price range. Although the last few I've seen from the sloth series are more Danish inspired, which I prefer.
Otherwise there are plenty of unique estates out there. Check ebay, you'll have to wade through a lot of trash to find the gems though.
Of course, on the other hand, you could always listen to scrooge :wink:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Both Britannia and Parker offer pipes well within this range, at one of our sponsors, Cup O Joes. You could pick up a couple for around $120. You can be as relaxed or as ambitious as you want, but I think a rotation of five or six pipes, including cobs, would get you started, and you can focus on various blends and focus on tobaccos. Buy in small quantities, even when you find something you really like, since your tastes will change.

dkaye201

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
Parkers for certain. I have a Lorenzo Spitfire that smokes very nicely- both ~$70-80.

dkaye201

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
Parkers for certain. I have a Lorenzo Spitfire that smokes very nicely- both ~$70-80.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
[/quote]Boswell pipes look nice, but there is only one under $120 on the site. It's a nice looking poker, but if its not what one is looking for then Boswell isn't in the price range.
If you call Boswell's they'll make you a pipe for $120 or less.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
For my money I would go for a Winslow,Mastro De Paja and Savinelli for new pipes.
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/winslow/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=209838
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipes/75659/mastro-de-paja-classica-pipes/
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=209692
For estate pipes I would go for the following.

This classic Caminetto carved by the duo of Radice/Ascorti are some of the finest smoking pipes available on the market. I have owned a number of them and each one smoked as well as any Castello pipe I ever smoked.

http://briarblues.com/jio53.htm

http://briarblues.com/jio19.htm For a few bucks more, you can grab a Castello which is one of the finest factory pipes available on the market today.
The reason I recommend Italian pipes to a new smoker is the size of the shank dimesnion. 4.0-4.5mm is a size that allows for a cool dry smoke and you will never run into problems like a tight wet smoker. Many times with pipes like Peterson and other British made pipes you can tend to run into a wet smoker due to the smaller shank dimensions of those types of pipes.
Do yourself a favor and buy Italian starting out, you will be glad you did.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
My standard answer used to be Savinelli, but now I've changed my tune. I think BriarWorks is using better wood and has better engineering. I own one of their smooth pokers and it's the best $99 pipe I've seen or smoked.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
trout, I have been hearing more and more good things about this brand. How is the shank dimension? Is it around the 4.0-4.5mm range? How is the stem work on these?

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Hey Harris, the airway is about 4.0mm. My 11/64(4.3mm)bit doesn't quite fit. The stem work is very nice, wide open and fairly thin at the button. Not sure it will rival your Rad's, but it is on the thinner side for a production pipe. I think they are stupid good for a C-note. After I took that photo I promptly dropped the pipe on the concrete and put a ding in the rim. NUTS!!!

mihailo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2016
NW Indiana
I have to say thanks for all the suggestions, I am looking at affew mentioned and have also contacted clickklick.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
trout, sorry that you dinged your pipe, that sucks. If I was not a vulcanite whore I would definitely try one of them for a c-note, it sounds like a hell of a pipe for short money. Glad to hear you really enjoy it. Do you plan on adding more to your collection?

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Harris, I won't be adding anymore BriarWorks soon only because I don't like most of their designs. This one had such serious crossgrain and I was also intrigued by the word of mouth about their engineering. I think Sav, Brebbia and others make great affordable pipes, but BriarWorks gives you great wood and a very good stem to boot.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Haven't read the entire thread yet for lack of time but I did search for the following suggestions prior to posting. Right, here's my imo: for your money the best pipes you can buy are estates and the two I recommend are Claudio Cavicchi and IMP meer.. The IMP's can be found for half your price, the Cavicchi's there about. You have to be patient to find either but they do pop up and both are absolutely on par with the best, irrespective of price.
If you are short on time or patience, look for classic english pipes made in the golden age. You can usually find them from better retailers on etsy for around $50.
I wasted time with new less expensive pipes when I first got started. Now they just sit in their socks collecting dust.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
From time to time, you can find nice English estate pipes on smokingpipes.com for around $60. These are restored within limits and sanitized. And SP gives reliable descriptions. Most of their English estates are higher priced, but they definitely have them in the $60 to $120 range.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Savinelli, Peterson, Butz-Choquin, Chacom, Brebbia, Neerup, Briarworks, Nording, Stanwell. And let's not forget the Morgan Bones series!

Status
Not open for further replies.