PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

asteroid1

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2011
Which of your low-end briars (new or estate) smokes the best? For me it's a Jacobean billiard I picked up on ebay for ~$20 and smokes equal to if not better than many of my high-end pipes.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I'd have to go with Dr. Grabow. I've got one that smokes better than most of my more expensive pipes.

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
My Dr Grabow Omega is one of the best smokers I have. It performs as good as any of my Pete's. Price doesn't all ways mean a good smoker.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
jwi159 thats a point ive been trying to make for sometime now.

for me I have a few 20 to 50 buck no name baskets that smoke extreamly well my grabow and my brogs

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
My highest priced Monte Verdi (Preben Holm I think, maybe a 2nd) doesn't hold a candle to my go to ( low end in price) bent, meerlined Whitehall. Whitehalls are all over Ebay and inexpensive. Seem to always be a wonderful smoke. Ditto for Old Vics, but a tad more in price. Some larger Grabows I have are great smokers and always inexpensive unless its some rare and sought after critter. It seems as if some of the french made pipes ( St. Claude) are inexpensive on a consistent basis, but they always seem to have a ton of fills. Yello Bowls I know are cheap in price but don't know how they smoke. Kaywoodies?? happy puffin :mrgreen:

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
My mr brog amigo smokes great, but I have a few kaywoodies that I think (when the stinger is gone) smoke as good as anything you can get for more money

arabpipesmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2012
So far all i can get is MM cob which is a great smoker, might conceder Dr. Grabow in my next order.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Kaywoodies, old and new, male and female (re stinger), are very consistent, and consistently good. Great value when new, but there are shameless steals on the Bay and at shows. The POYs and Limited Editions that Bill F makes are very under-rated for high grades.
hp

les

lifeon2

Jan 19, 2012
denver co
My grabows yello boles and kaywoodies all smoke well if you look around at garage sales "antique shops" and the like they can be had from a buck each to 6 bucks or so.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Kaywoodies & a duke of dundee that was given to me in an estate lot, it was only $1.47 brand new (in 1941) and smokes sa well as any pipe I have or have had.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
I got some with no name at all on them that smoke very well. In fact I have decided that one of the factors that makes a great smoker is bowl bore; diameter to depth ratio. 1 and 1/2 times the diameter is a good depth.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I have a lovely old apple I bought at Campbell's Smoke Shop in E. Lansing, Mi. in 1972 or '73. I think it cost me $10. It's a wonderful smoker. (Granted, a $10 pipe then was not a low-end pipe.)

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
I have a [new] Grabow Omega also and it smoke beautifully and an Estate Kaywoodie standard that I restored that does aswell...love then both

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
This is a great thread for us new to the game. I'm looking for some new pipes and i seem to fixated on the name of the maker. Glad to hear i have choices between the MM cobs and the over $50 range that will smoke well.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
My Savinelli Natural is the best non-filtered, low-end briars, but my Dr. Grabows smoke great of the filtered ones. I think my best smoker of all though is the GBD Midnight I bought off Lonestar. It smokes latakia blends like a dream. It's an estate and I paid a low-end price but this one is more of a mid-range when new (I think), so I didn't include it. I also didn't include my cobs because they are cobs. It's like comparing Hershey's chocolate to applesauce; two wonderful things that have nothing to do with one another. Cobs get a special place in my collection because they do everything well. I stuff and go. Sure they look a bit "country" but I'm not in this game for the looks.
-Jason

pipeguy93

Lurker
Mar 19, 2012
Have to say my Dr. Grabows are pretty awesome for the $. Definitely recommend them to somebody just getting in the hobby, though they may be the only brand of briar I ever own.

Status
Not open for further replies.