PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Bic Pipe Tool Case
Just found this since my favorite pipe lighter is a Bic i find this to be really useful.
bic-lighters-no-match-small-87928.jpg

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
A Zippo with the black can Zippo fuel can not be beat in my opinion by anything :) I keep a bic or Djeep lighter as a backup in case it runs out of fuel (only for cobs, those non-Zippos will burn the rim of a briar).

adam2

Might Stick Around
Jun 8, 2013
I use an IM Corona Old Boy and I like it very much. I never tried other pipe lighters so I can't compare it but it works very well and is a good replacement for matches I think. Downside is that it is quite expensive.

judd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2014
Can't beat a Zippo pipe lighter, let it burn for a few seconds before lighting up and no foul taste from the fluid. And it'll be the last lighter you buy. Good luck with your choice.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
Personally, I don't like using a zippo. I don't know if it's the smell of the fuel or the taste of the fuel but I can smell/taste it and I don't see the point of spending money on quality tobacco to have it taste like zippo fuel.
I have a colibri pipe lighter and when it works (about 50% of the time) it is wonderful. I also have a St.Dupont lighter that I bought at a pawn shop while traveling through the middle east. It may be a fake but it works well.
Bics also work well but I tend to darken my rim far too often using them.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Xikar Scribe has the best ergonomics of any pipe lighter I have used. Long lighter, side-firing, constant-on (no burned thumb), positive off. By far my favorite.
Xikar Scribe Link

rjlommd

Lurker
Feb 20, 2014
I was just browsing this and I decided to reply. I'm new to this site, but I've been puffing away since 1963. The two very best lighters I have ever used, and to which I compare all the other lighters I've used, are the Dunhill Rollagas --which I still use every now and again and the GBD Duet lighter. Both Butane and both always worked very well.

Over the years I've tried Coronas (flintless and the standard "Old Boy"), Vector's Gladius and a Zaima copy of a Dunhill. But none of them performed with the consistency of the GBD or the Dunhill. Actually, I was very happy with the original IMCO lighter (the one that was round, not so much the newer style) and for the price they were better than the BIC and didn't have the burn-your-finger problem.

Zippos and other lighter fluid lighters never satisfied--they did leave a taste which was worse than using a paper match--even after you let the tip burn away.

Well, that's my take on keeping my tobacco well and evenly lit in my pipe.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I like the Zippo with the pipe insert. I have been using that for a long time exclusively for pipes, but that's what I know, I wouldn't be averse to trying another type either, though.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Best lighter for a pipe? Don't know, but I like my pipe Zippo. Works great in the wind and I only smoke outside so....... :puffy:

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
my opinion... Any lighter that produces a flame is a good lighter... I loose lighters every 2 days it feels.. I buy a big pack of BIC's and im good to go.. I could buy a 300 dollar lighter and get the same flame and chance loosing it. Or, I could use matches or BIC's and have the exact same result.

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
I'm gonna go Zippo. Seems to be a good choice. Matches and BIC until then, although I get a really good light off good matches. Sort of old school. :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like matches. I think they keep you in touch with the historical aspect of pipe smoking. They're trouble,

and they're messy. And sometimes you have to strike them more than once. But I want a pipe smoking

experience more like my grandfather or great grandfather (or dad) had. It's part of the experience.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Zippo pipe lighter, the 1942 replica one. Bought one of the Thunderbird inserts and they are total crap and a waste of money in my experience. Mine worked for about 2 or 3 bowls and then would take about 100 strikes of the flint to light again, still does so i don't use it. I tried emptying it completely of butane, different types of butane and everything in between to no avail. Zippo works just dandy for me and doesn't give a nasty taste to the tobacco like some say it does. My Tom Spanu pipe is pretty large though and has a very deep chamber, so sometimes it is hard to reach with the flame. In that case, i either use matches or one of those snake light lighters with the long necks that my gf uses to light candles in the house.

lefty19

Lurker
Aug 1, 2013
I use a Zippo grill lighter since I only smoke in the morning on the porch. I have not lost it yet and is versatile since my wife uses it for candles, grill and pretty much anything else. I like it better than anything else to get my Mario Grandi lit without burning the briar. It also uses butane and easily refillable. The best $15.00 I have spent on a lighter.
-David

Status
Not open for further replies.