PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Lol ... What's the best beer / wine / etc ... Too many to list and too many opinions to go with them.
Which blends do you currently smoke that you like?
Knowing that would help to steer you in the right direction.
Also ... check this out:
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/brand/41/g-l-pease

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Haddo's Delight and Cairo scratch my itch.
Since I love VaPers, I just opened a tin of Telegraph Hill. After 3 or 4 bowls I'm still

searching for the right pipe and/or conditions. Quality stuff, but no ecstasy (yet).

apiperisdown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2014
I'll second junkyarddawg's notion on the strength. I've been going at this slowly since eh, November maybe and I still struggle with the GL Pease offerings. That being said Key Largo is about all I've found so far :) that didn't make me wish I stayed in the shallow end of the pool. I found it recommended as a warm weather smoke and it doesn't get much warmer than the middle Gulf Coast in August so it turned out to be a more enjoyable venture. It contains cigar leaf which I found interesting.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
most GL Pease tobaccos, even the very few which are cased, are kind of fairly stronger in nicotine than what you smoke.
Are you sure about that, JYD? I'm not disputing, but Virginia and Latakia are fairly low in nicotine and used quite a bit in Pease blends. Perique is higher, I believe, but it's used in pretty small quantities.
On the other hand, aromatics (again, speaking very generally) use burley as a base due to its neutral flavor. But burley has much higher nicotine content. So even though I would say that Pease blends have a generally stronger, richer flavor than the aromatics mentioned, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they're lower in nicotine.
But I'm basing this all on assumptions. If I'm dead wrong, somebody let me know.
And to the original question, there can be no "best" when it comes to the subjective, but my FAVORITE Pease blend is probably Embarcadero.

dirtydex

Might Stick Around
May 14, 2011
I like JackKnife Plug the best. It is heavy in strength, but unreal flavour.

clarkj734

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2014
Based on what the OP is currently enjoying - I would suggest that Barbary Coast would be best for him.
For me? I really enjoy Union Square. There are several others that I smoke somewhat regularly....but I mostly like VA flakes

bigjohn

Lurker
Aug 17, 2014
I have smoked exactly one variety of GL Pease and it quickly became a favorite of mine. GasLight. I love this stuff, not too much nicotine and a great campfire aroma. The added prep time of slicing flakes from a plug is an added bonus.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Based on what the OP is currently enjoying - I would suggest that Barbary Coast would be best for him.
+1
So far the walrus (coo-coo-cachoo) is smoking Aro's ... throwing a Lat-Blend at him may not be the ticket.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
Assuming you are asking for guidance towards a GL Pease tobacco and not just querying about the brand, I would second the suggestion of Barbary Coast. It is one of my favorite Burley blends. However, most of my favorites in that line are English/Balkan, and they might be a significant change for you. Lagonda has recently risen to the top, followed by, in no particular order, Quiet Nights, Chelsea Morning,Meridian, Maltese Falcon, and my old standby, Westminster. On occasion, I also like a bowl or two of Key Largo, for the cigar taste, or Haddo's Delight, for the extra kick.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
Bigvan --

Latakia is indeed a low nicotine tobacco, but virginias are all over the map. Virtually all of the high-octane, infamously strong blends are mostly virginias (1792, Dark Flake, etc). Burley is on average stronger than most Vas, but again that's only on average.

In any case, the nicotine content of the leaf is only part of the equation. How a blend is processed and the PH balance of the individual smoker plays even more of a role because those are what determines how much of the nicotine in the leaf is actually released when smoking and then absorbed. When you change the PH balance of a blend you change how much nicotine is released, which is a far better indicator of strength than is just noting the nicotine content of the leaf.

I have no idea what you smoker normally, so I have no idea what your threshold for nicotine is. Personally, I don't find GLP blends to be unusually strong. Out of all his blends, only a small number (Haddo's Delight, Jacknife Plug, and Sextant) seem particularly stout to me, nic-wise.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
My two favorites from Pease are Caravan and Cairo. As for what you will like, you never know till you try. Be adventurous and try a cross section of his different types, like Barbary Coast, Westminster and Haddo's.

racerx

Might Stick Around
Feb 21, 2014
Southern California
At this moment, I'd have to say JackKnife Plug is my favorite GLP. That I tried it all was completely by accident. Sweet, fortuitous, thank-heaven-for-miracles accident. And now I buy it in 8-ounce cans.
I've tried a whole bunch of GLP blends, and of course they can't all be favorites, but the only one I truly disliked was Barbary Coast. Quality tobacco, to be sure, but just not my gig.

Status
Not open for further replies.