PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

the85boro

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2019
What is your best estate pipe find and where did you find it?
Mine was a KBB carved Tiger briar from the 1890's. It had a horn stem and was very large.

the85boro

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2019
I have the pics on my profile but i have no clue how to repost them . I had to have help posting them originally

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I bought a 1930s Dunhill Root Briar bent billiard with a Vernon tenon and brindle stem off of ebay for $75. I was very pleased with that!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Several best estate pipes were gifts not finds. They are, from Forums members, a Ferndown bent billiard and a Meerschaum straight billiard with wine grape etchings. From friends, a Thompson house pipe stamped "West Germany," a freehand.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I've been fortunate a couple of times. I found a 1926 Dunhill 120 and paid $10 for it. I later sold it, thinking I'd never find another like that. Then I can across a 1927 59/4 Billiard. Both can be seem in this link.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/another-vintage-dunhill-find

the85boro

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2019
Here is my CPF. Incorrectly stated it as a KBB. Oops. If anyone can post for me that would be great. Thank you
http://pipesmagazine.com/members/the85boro/album/picture/30092

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
09026470-f37f-48e7-afab-1e14662cb2b3.png

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Since you've already got them in your album:
This is how to add photos to your post using the site's photo album:
1.) Login

2.) Go to My Account (may have hit Home button first) and mouse down to Album.

3.) Choose Upload Picture (navigate to photo you've given a sensible name to), be sure to then hit Upload.

4.) Go back to Album, click on thumbnail to open full size image. Right click (Windows); Control Click (Mac) and select "copy image location" (its URL).

5.) Return to your reply window in the thread and click on the IMG button at the top of the compose window.

7.) Paste the image location into the window and click OK. (You can paste over the existing http://)
You can disregard the following, which is posted for general information, not needed in this specific case:

Images tend to be smaller than hosting site's size, but can be full sized if you remove the pixel limitation, (-600x360)— the numbers and the dash preceding, leaving no spaces, and ending in .jpg
An example, of a thumbnail named "hms-penzance-1940...." followed by "-150x100.jpg" is the name of the photo in my album, and it's the "-150x100" that limits the size.

hms-penzance-1940-150x100.jpg

If I remove the numbers, it goes to whatever size at which it was uploaded, subject to web sized image limitations.
hms-penzance-1940.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've been very fortunate a few times. A mint Comoy's Canadian Blue Riband for $6. A gorgeous 1949 Dunhill Bruyere black dot for $80. A collection of 12 pipes that was mostly 4 and 8 Dot Sasienies, a Comoy Blue Riband and a Barling Straight Grain - all mint - for $425, and a few others.
It's not just about always about price, which is a kind of limited and primitive sort of measure, it's also about value and pleasure. So while this particular find was not a bargain basement purchase it was an exceptionally good value and a great pleasure as a collectible:
W9I9CK1.jpg

Reactions: rogers

laniromee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2018
Most likely my pristine James Upshall Grade G bent bulldog which I paid around 80 dollars for.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Comoy's Canadian Blue Riband for $6
Oh, God, I am DYIN' here.. [sob sob sob]
In my case it'd HAVE to be the Winslow. Yeah, I paid $100 & got it online from SPC, but it was still an estate & probably THE best smoking & most beautiful piece of briar I've ever had (& that includes my Preben Holms.).
85's definitely dead-on that it's never about the money, but about the find. Regarding that a very close second to the Winslow would be the Hilson Unicorn that I also have in my album, & the reason being that I had one exactly like it, again back in the '70s. I foolishly gave it away to help a new smoker have a good starting pipe, & regretted the loss ever since til I found a guy in Germany who had one for sale on fleabay not quite 2 years ago. Bidding went whack as usual but I finally got it for $75 American, & I'd have willingly gone over $100 if I'd had to. That's how much the old beauty meant to me -- the 75 was complete chicken feed because it was the find of a twin sister to the long-gone one I'd had.
Bill

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
My Hilson Vintage Panel bought from foggymountain has to be my best "estate".
It's designated for VaPer ribbons and excels at its job.
Light, dense, comfy and looks nice. My first hardware acquisition from a forum "elder", so more meaningful than a random online score.
hilson-600x337.jpg

jay-roger.jpg

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'm not a flea market or pawn shop sort of guy. But I've had considerable success getting good deals on eBay. Got a beautiful Castello Collection KK Bulldog for $175 that was in like new condition. Brand new Amorelli for $95 that's been a fantastic Va Flake smoker. Gotten good to great buys on half a dozen Rad Davis. I've found the key to eBay is not get emotionally attached to the pipe you're bidding on and don't let it become a competition. I pick a price I would consider a bargain or a very good deal and that's it. Not a penny more. You lose more auctions than you win but the wins are good ones.

Reactions: dcon

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I'm not a flea market or pawn shop sort of guy. But I've had considerable success getting good deals on eBay. Got a beautiful Castello Collection KK Bulldog for $175 that was in like new condition. Brand new Amorelli for $95 that's been a fantastic Va Flake smoker. Gotten good to great buys on half a dozen Rad Davis. I've found the key to eBay is not get emotionally attached to the pipe you're bidding on and don't let it become a competition. I pick a price I would consider a bargain or a very good deal and that's it. Not a penny more. You lose more auctions than you win but the wins are good ones.
Not estate pipes, but this is an excellent way to acquire some amazing deals on Moretti pipes. It is how I have bought all three of mine, new, for ridiculously low prices.

Reactions: ormazd

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
About 20 years ago I picked up this Savinelli Canadian for $4 at a flea market. Had to pay another $6 for a replacement stem. It's my favorite pipe.
img_e0831-150x93.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.