PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dburrows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2011
Hey all - I'm looking for my holy grail blend for my afternoon smoke.
I think I've found it in my morning smoke but it's just not the same in the afternoon or evening. That is H&H Daybreak. Now I haven't had EMP yet but from the reviews I've read, the similarities are well enough I am figuring that would be a favorite morning smoke of mine as well. But I'm afraid I'll have the same issue with that as I do with Daybreak in that come afternoon (on my way home from work for instance) it's not as full or flavorful as it is in the early morning.
My all day/anytime smoke is GLP Westminster but I try to save that as a treat for a few times a week (that and I try to keep the rotation so that I'm never at a tin that's less than a year old).
So I'm looking for something similar to Daybreak but with a heavier flavor profile perhaps... seems I'm on a Latakia/Virginia/Oriental kick.
I've not tried Meridian and am a little curious in how it would compare. I'd like to try Boswell's Northwoods but am thinking that may be more of an evening blend.
So I solicit your thoughts, ideas and most importantly, additions to my TAD list.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
In the profile that you describe you're looking for, H&H Cerebus comes to mind for me. I burned through a sample and am looking forward to putting that one in my collection. It's a medium (fuller side of medium you might say) strength blend that is very easy to smoke and very flavorful. I could smoke his stuff all day long.

grizzly86

Apr 5, 2012
I agree that H&H Cerberus is very good. I also like SG Squadron Leader; I have an 8oz bag of Penzance on the way after only sampling a few bowls worth. I also really enjoyed McClelland Club Blends: CPCC Scottish Woods; this is very flavorful.

dburrows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2011
SL is a good suggestion. I was associating it with a milder flavor profile so haven't given it a go. Will try that one tomorrow.
Is the Perique very strong in Cerberus? I enjoy it in small quantities but it can really kill a lot of blends for me... I think Escudo is about my limit with Perique, and even that only after a bit of air time.

grizzly86

Apr 5, 2012
I'm not sure what the numbers are but I think it's higher than Escudo.

dburrows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2011
Ok, SL about hit it. It's missing just a little something and I can't put my finger on it. I was a little surprised at just how pleasant it was. I'm going to give it a few more go arounds.
I've not been able to like Old Dublin :( I tried it, different pipes, dry times, etc., but something in there just kept reminding me of a cigarette so it's off the list.
Would love to try Penzance but can't get my hands on it! Any others along the lines of SL?

Status
Not open for further replies.