PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

GreatWhiteNorthPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2022
Ontario, Canada
I see that SP.com has a sale on Cornell and Diehl until March 15 and I'd be interested in making an order. So, my question to the esteemed experienced smokers here is: what is the best C&D aromatic? I'm focusing on aromatics at the moment as I'm a beginner. But if you have any other suggestions for what a beginner might like, I'm all ears. Thanks!

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
Their Apples and Cream is good. Cordial is an interesting blend. Crooner, though not technically an aromatic, has the addition of deer tongue that gives the tobacco a nice taste and aroma.

Personally, I think their best aromatics are in the tins, not the bulk.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm a C&D fan, but I've become so fond of their non-aromatics -- Billy Budd, Old Joe K., Stratfordshire, Tuggle Hall, Bayou Night, etc. -- I can't even think of an aromatic. Right now I'm enjoying a tin of GLP Barbary Coast, cube-burley based, with Virginia and Perique, flavored with brandy, that is flavorful and pleasant.

There's a quiet debate on Forums right now as to whether aromatics are a good starting point for pipe smokers or not. Some argue that aromatics require a lot more technique, so it is better to start out with non-aromatics. At least I'd say, new pipe smokers should definitely become familiar with non-aromatics, especially basic burley and one-leaf Virginia, so they know their flavors, since they are the base tobaccos of so many blends.

Last edited:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Founding Fathers is a hidden gem. It's one of the few aros I need to order by the lb. It's pomegranate flavored but you have to dig to find that out. The description is it's flavored with George Washingtons favorite fruit (which is widely reported as pomegranate). It's a combo that works a lot better then you think it will. And it's not one flavor profile over the other it's two flavors working together. As in the fruit and the tobacco. Really great stuff.

If I may... I think it's interesting what some people consider great about an aromatic. We are all so different. Some consider an aromatic great, if they can taste that topping all throughout the bowl. Me, I prefer to taste the tobacco throughout, and maybe get a whiff of topping every now and then. If I actually taste the topping, I fling that shit out the window.

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
If I may... I think it's interesting what some people consider great about an aromatic. We are all so different. Some consider an aromatic great, if they can taste that topping all throughout the bowl. Me, I prefer to taste the tobacco throughout, and maybe get a whiff of topping every now and then. If I actually taste the topping, I fling that shit out the window.
Haha! My FAVOURITE is C & D's Visions of Celephais, and the tobacco taste is definitely way back in the balcony seats. On the other hand, my second favourite is Crooner, which has a very heavy tobacco taste.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
Bob Hayes, Craig and Patty's son in law, a veteran, and a pipe carver, used to smoke Nutty Irishman. Guy never needed a pipe cleaner. He'd just smoke it with no relights, and pour out a pile of ash. Have not achieved that yet myself. But on topic, Nutty Irishman and Autumn Evening are very good.

Davy Jones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2022
7 Seas
Looks like Autumn Evening is mentioned more than once. It's the only aro I tried from them and liked it. The casing is not too much and it was pleasnt to smoke.