PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I know this all comes down to personal preference, but I want to get into Virginia blends. I am a Latakia lover, but have found myself smoking Stonehaven and Anniversary Kake this summer, and I am really liking it. When I first got into pipe smoking I tried Escudo and I loved it, but I jarred it and it’s now on my shelf aging alongside some Dark Flake, Bayou Morning and PS Luxury Bullseye Flake. Orlik is awesome too for that hay flavor.
Now, I currently have some FVF and 515 RC-1 on the way that I plan on aging. If I like those I will buy more to jar up for the long haul. What are some of the other really popular bulk options for cellaring?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most brands that sell bulk have one or more Virginias, with or without Perique. I'd sample an ounce of each of some of the major brands to find one you really like, and smoke up the rest in rotation or use it in mixes. I'd try Sutliff, Lanes, Peter Stokkebye, Daughters & Ryan, Cornell & Diehl, and anything else Virginia in bulk.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
If you like Anniversary Kake (I do too!), maybe try some of the other H&H bulk VaPers like Rolando', AJ's and Louisiana Red. The Louisiana Red I didn't love at first, but I just re-discovered a a jar from 3 years ago, and I like it a lot now with the added age. Of course, the other Stokkebye Luxury Flaes, Twist and Navy, are great. Newminster Superior Navy Flake. If you're willing to consider blends that come in 8 and 16 oz tins, your options expand a lot and the prices are only a bit higher than traditional bulk.
I haven't had it, personally, but C&D Yorktown shows up on this list of popular VA blends at SP.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
H&H Marble Kake is another that's terrific with some years on it. Not the most dynamic, more simple.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
SG FVF, BBF and Golden Glow are all available in bulk. MacBaren HH Pure Virginia is a good one. Rattray Brown Clunee, Old Gowrie and Hal O'The Wynd. Watch City Simply Red and Rhythm & Blues. LJ Peretti Boston Slices and RCTR. GLP Union Square can be purchased in 8 oz cans. Dan Tobacco Hamborger Veermaster can be purchased in 250 gram bags. C&D Yorktown and Opening Night. Newminster 400 Supreme Flake.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
+1 on the Newminster, as well as the others Hoosier mentioned.
I dug out a jar of this I tinned a year ago and was very impressed. I'll be adding more to my cellar.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I have a lot of Virginia and VA based blends in the cellar, most of it I haven’t tried yet.

And then a lot of it is discontinued.

So I am merely hopeful that I’ll like them once I open them.
I do like all the Rattrays blends.

I really like Reiners Blend 71, a VaPer, though not available in bulk.

I have 2 Comoy blends I haven’t tried yet. I bought them during the panic in early 2018. They’re ranked not terrible on tobacco reviews.

I hope McBaron Golden Glow is not terrible.

I have much of the Stokkebye Va blends, enough has been said about them.

And +1 on H&H Anniversary Kake.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
All of the above. I used to be an "all English" piper myself. Now, I rarely dip into my English mixtures.
+4 or +5 on the Peter Stokkebye Flakes. They are part of my daily piping experience.
Rattrays Hal 'O The Wynd ++
Esoterica Dunbar is another one that I like.

Status
Not open for further replies.