PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

archerdarkpint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2010
Stokkebye luxury navy flake/twist/bullseye benefit more from aging than anything I’ve ever smoked. 1 year is a shocking difference from fresh.
Agree @alaskanpiper ...have some of each purchased around 2008-2010 (even have two large - um, one and a half now - jars of the former "Luxury Curly Cut" - discontinued in 2006 - est.). All have blossomed wonderfully from their initial state. The "Luxury Navy Flake" matured exceptionally well and right now is probably my favorite among the Stokkebye Luxury line.

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
Agree @alaskanpiper ...have some of each purchased around 2008-2010 (even have two large - um, one and a half now - jars of the former "Luxury Curly Cut" - discontinued in 2006 - est.). All have blossomed wonderfully from their initial state. The "Luxury Navy Flake" matured exceptionally well and right now is probably my favorite among the Stokkebye Luxury line.
How long did the Luxury line take from jar to your favorite? I ask because I have some between 6 months and a year in jars. And I'm wonder when to crack the seals.

archerdarkpint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2010
How long did the Luxury line take from jar to your favorite? I ask because I have some between 6 months and a year in jars. And I'm wonder when to crack the seals.
@RookieGuy : Short answer is two years.

More, if you are interested...I've been dipping into the jars off and on...jeeze, I'd say two years after initial jarring just to see what's going on inside the jar. I have one of each Stokkebye "Luxury" blend in a jar marked "open" and others remained closed up in a cellar state.

For me, at the two-year point, that's when I can sense the positive change. You'll know when there's progress in the jar by color. The tobacco transitions from the "bright" colors to increasingly darker hues. The "Luxury Curly Cut" from 2008 for example, is almost black in color and opening the jar, the aroma is sweet and fruity. When first jarred, it was golden/red.

However, at times, I'll go on a run of Balkan, latakia based, burley, or straight Virginia blends, so I may not touch a Va/Per for a year or so. In addition, I have over forty tins or jars open at a time, and the "Luxury" jars get pushed to the back of my "Open" cabinet. Out of sight and all that. This is how I age my cellar; going through a variety, you'll be amazed at how quickly you'll get time on the jars.

Right now, I happen to be on a Va/Per run and I've been rotating through the "Luxury Line" lately along with aged jars or tins of "Louisiana Red," "Anniversary Kake," "Viprati," and others. Side by side, sure, there's different components or varietals, but for me, "Luxury Navy Flake" seems the most satisfying overall. It really aged well.

As many others have encouraged, "Cellar wide and cellar deep." Some often talk about how they had a huge appetite for one brand, blend or style, but suddenly couldn't stand what they considered a one-time favorite. Now they have a huge stock if something they no longer like. Hence, my practice of moving around between blends and components. I didn't want to make something I dearly loved, something I'd later loathe.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: RookieGuy and logs
Status
Not open for further replies.