PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

damacene

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2022
I found a couple lbs of aged Sutliff 515 RC-1 in my closet and I was thinking about trying to blend something for my pipe club next time we meet. I was thinking about getting some "simply orange" from WCC and some Perique to try to blend something reminiscent of Mike and Russ's "The Mind Meld Va/Per" I know it will never taste like Mcclelland, but we all loved that blend and I want to try to make something halfway...kinda...sorta...maybe similar.

Thanks for the help in advanced!

Reactions: Chalaw87

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I used to have a few little jars of the stuff but can't remember who the manufacturer was now, they stopped producing them years ago anyway. I used the last of it in my home blends in 2022.

Anyone ever try the Sam Gawith pure Louisiana perique?
The little jars produced by Percy Martin? That is some fine stuff!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I found a couple lbs of aged Sutliff 515 RC-1 in my closet and I was thinking about trying to blend something for my pipe club next time we meet. I was thinking about getting some "simply orange" from WCC and some Perique to try to blend something reminiscent of Mike and Russ's "The Mind Meld Va/Per" I know it will never taste like Mcclelland, but we all loved that blend and I want to try to make something halfway...kinda...sorta...maybe similar.

Thanks for the help in advanced!
Almost forgot. Watch City is releasing Simply Orange with Perique this week.

damacene

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2022
I suggest buying some of each and see what you like best. All of these get some post processing.
All of mine came from La Poche, which doesn’t sell retail, so it’s straight from the source.
Almost forgot. Watch City is releasing Simply Orange with Perique this week.

That's probably the best way to go about it. I saw Boswell's also has a couple tins of McConnell's Pure Louisiana Perique. I may give that a shot along with the C&D and Sutliff.

Thank you for the heads up WCC Simply Orange with Perique may just kill two birds with one stone.

Reactions: KruegerFlap

Mr_houston

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2020
Texas
I recently used the Sutliff Ts-20 perique to mix with RC-01 red cake. Used an ounce per 8 ounces of red VA, so 11% perique. It’s ribbon cut, so I think it mixes a little better.

Reactions: damacene

damacene

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2022
I recently used the Sutliff Ts-20 perique to mix with RC-01 red cake. Used an ounce per 8 ounces of red VA, so 11% perique. It’s ribbon cut, so I think it mixes a little better.
How did it turn out? I had a couple bowls of an old tin of Deception pass today and I could be crazy but there was something very "Mcclellandy" about it. The Perique was great but not as strong as The Mind Meld.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
@damacene Id personally say not to waste your money or McConnell's perique. In the EU we can either get that or Torben Dansk. Torbens is ok but I have not had C&D or the others. Mcconnell's is pretty tasteless in comarison to Torben by Dan Tobacco. It really lays far in the background. I got it once and wont get it again. Very dissappointing.

Mr_houston

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2020
Texas
How did it turn out? I had a couple bowls of an old tin of Deception pass today and I could be crazy but there was something very "Mcclellandy" about it. The Perique was great but not as strong as The Mind Meld.

It is really good. I’d been smoking it for the past 3 weeks to determine if I should cellar RC-01 as a pure red VA. I’ve put away 3 lbs now, with 1 lb mixed with Perique.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I would think that getting some of the orange with perique is the way to go. I've ordered several times from watch city and they always delivered the right stuff. Highly recommended.

damacene

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2022
I would think that getting some of the orange with perique is the way to go. I've ordered several times from watch city and they always delivered the right stuff. Highly recommended.
I think that's where I'm going to start...but then I'm going to want to buy some simply red cake with Perique...

Reactions: kcghost

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
but then I'm going to want to buy some simply red cake with Perique...
Why bother, if you have Simply Red or Orange already just get some Sutliff Perique and add it in whatever amounts you want. Save yourself the $18 a tin he's charging, crazy.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure its just TS-20 with some Simply Red/Orange and pressed into a cake. I've already been doing that anyway. Want it pressed? Buy a noodle press or make some other type of press and there you go.

Dudes got some good blends but it aint no McClelland.