PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
Boswell in Chambersburg, PA I've heard nothing but good things about. This fall I plan on riding out there, wonderful country for motorcycles.
John B. Hayes in Winchester, VA. is absolutely worth a stop if you find yourself in the area. The only place I've seen a selection of G&H in the wild.
Gettysburg Cigar Co. is one I'll recommend with an asterisk. As a pipe shop, it's fair to middling. However, the ambiance and character of the place makes it worth ducking in for a bit. If the old man is there, you're in luck. He's a riot! He's a nut in the very best sense of the word.

jp267nh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2019
Connecticut
Irwin Ries is good. Uhles in Milwaukee is good. Nat Sherman in NYC shut down permanently. Barclay Rex down in lower Manhattan is over priced and not much selection. Davidoff is really the only other Manhattan B&M store with pipes and tobacco I can think of. Butthead's in Danbury, CT is the best around me. And the Owl Shop in New Haven, but again there is very limited supply. Everything has gone to the way of the bong, vape etc.

Skip has told me that having run The Briary since 1972, (and his father had owned it for decades before him) he is really tired, with no kids to force the business off on, like what happened to him. It is located in Homewood, Alabama, just South of Birmingham. It is a very classy lounge, with a huge selection of tins and bulk, and an awesome gallery of high end pipes to select from.
Of course, he could change his mind, so take this with a grain of salt... but according to him, he doesn't plan on keeping it open for more than another year. He said 50 years from him is enough.

We discussed his selling it, but after hearing all of the ins and outs of what owning the place would be like, I know that I would never...

So, if you are in the area within the next year, and you want to see what a really nice high end pipe gallery and tobacconist is like, I suggest folks hurry. It really is a treasure of a place that will be missed once it's gone.

jp267nh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2019
Connecticut
Almost forgot there's a place in Laconia, NH that's pretty good as well. Happy Jack's. He had a decent amount of pipes, bulk tobacco, house blends and some tins when I was there a couple years ago. There's also Wilkie Tobacco in Fall River, MA. Not sure if they have an actual B&M store or are online only. Sorry!

And lastly LJ Peretti Co. in Boston which had limited tobaccos, but decent amount of pipes a few years back when I was there.

Reactions: John C. and jpmcwjr

John C.

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 7, 2020
Rhode Island
Almost forgot there's a place in Laconia, NH that's pretty good as well. Happy Jack's. He had a decent amount of pipes, bulk tobacco, house blends and some tins when I was there a couple years ago. There's also Wilkie Tobacco in Fall River, MA. Not sure if they have an actual B&M store or are online only. Sorry!

And lastly LJ Peretti Co. in Boston which had limited tobaccos, but decent amount of pipes a few years back when I was there.
There is a B&M store for Wilke.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Ian Ries is fantastic. Only downside is if you buy at the store, you pay pretty high taxes. The Briary in Birmingham, AL is excellent. Watch City Cigar in Framingham, MA and Perettis in Boston. Uhles in Milwaukee. Edwards in Denver. Pipes by George in Raleigh and one I forget the name of in nearby Apex that has a great smoking lounge and friendly folks. McCranies in Charlotte.

Google is also your friend. There are small hidden gems in some unlikely places.
I know it's an old post. Pipes by George is an icon here in Raleigh. I go there at least once a week. If you're ever back in the Raleigh area, let me know.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013

LJ Peretti's in Boston is a shop I have known since the late 1960's. They may have a limited selection of other people's tobaccos, but that could be due to their own vast catalogue of blends they have been producing for well over a century. If you want to explore the fascinating history of American pipe tobaccos, then Peretti is the place to visit.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Another paean for Peretti's. Went there as a grad student living in Boston and then Cambridge. I may even have a basket pipe from them, but I'll never know, as I have 2-3 such pipes with no- or worn off- stamping.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
From reputation rather than experience, Blatter and Blatter in Montreal is a prime shop for pipes, since they are also a producer of artisan pipes, and I believe they also have an expansive inventory of blends. Peretti in Boston mentioned earlier is another heritage shop that makes its own blends. Toronto has a worthy pipe shop or two, but I do not have the names. Pipe Queen, are you there?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sorry, that's Cigar Ash Queen, in Toronto, though I only associate her with those magnificent artisan pipes she posts.

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
I went to Tobaccos of Hawaii in Honolulu ten years ago and was really happy with the people, knowledge, and environment.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I guess the thread title may mean U.S. by America. I always think of North America, which includes Canada and Mexico. That's my geography taking over.

Reactions: Streeper541

jp267nh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2019
Connecticut
LJ Peretti's in Boston is a shop I have known since the late 1960's. They may have a limited selection of other people's tobaccos, but that could be due to their own vast catalogue of blends they have been producing for well over a century. If you want to explore the fascinating history of American pipe tobaccos, then Peretti is the place to visit.
Thanks for all the great information. I had no idea of the history. I have only been in once since I haven't smoked a pipe for very long. Very enlightened by your post. Cheers!