Best Approach To Keep Rims From Excess Charring?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

docpierce

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2020
For members with higher end pipes. Or people who have success in keeping them more pristine. What tips can you offer, short of keeping them in their shipping boxes- can you offer to help preserve the rims of your pipes? I know the one about the bit of saliva around the circumference. And I like to use a softer draw when lighting. Anything else I'm missing?

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Stop practicing pyro-flatulence. Seriously IMHO I have found that whatever I do you are always going to get rim char even on meerschaum pipes. They do make those metal caps that fit over the rim and sit just inside the bowl. They are indeed a brilliant Victorian solution but not exactly practical if you are smoking a pipe on the go so to speak. I have noticed less rim damage when you use wooden matches.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've never damaged a rim, but can only say hold the flame in place while you draw, and remove it while still drawing. Briar is incredibly hard to damage unless you are holding a flame directly to it for extended periods of time or using a torch lighter.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Don't apply flame directly to the tobacco, hold ago I've tobacco and draw it to the tobacco. Don't over fill. And use the water rinse cleaning method after each smoke and use a paper towel to clean off the rim before rubbing out the bowl. It is near impossible to keep a rim pristine, especially the way some are designed. However, the rims can be kept in near perfect condition with the steps previously described.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
Don't apply flame directly to the tobacco, hold ago I've tobacco and draw it to the tobacco. Don't over fill. And use the water rinse cleaning method after each smoke and use a paper towel to clean off the rim before rubbing out the bowl. It is near impossible to keep a rim pristine, especially the way some are designed. However, the rims can be kept in near perfect condition with the steps previously described.
+1

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

garageboy

Might Stick Around
Jul 15, 2019
I managed to scratch a pipe bowl while wiping build up with a dry paper towel... Must have had a piece of grit on it.

Keep the flame off the bowl, and don't let the flame sit in one spot too long

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Probably zippo is not the best fried of those smokers whose aim is to keep rims in pristine condition,although I have no first hand information about this and I'm using my zippo with pipe insert only on rare occasion
I think one of the great things about the zippo pipe insert is how easy it is too aim at the middle of the bowl unless it's a very narrow chamber. Much easier then a butane lighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.