PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

omar

Lurker
Nov 30, 2015
That is a well thought out advice , thank you sir.
I will reconsider my plan .

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
You can buy a good Brog and then spend the other $150 on tobacco.

Or you can find a number of good Savinelli's or Nordings for under $200. You can also buy 6 or 7 high quality Missouri Meerschaums for under $200.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
BREBBIA - I have been looking at these more and more and they sure are an underrated brand.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Savinelli is the pipe to get in that range.
+1
Great line with huge inventory to choose from. Never had a bad one yet.

demetrakopoulos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
I'll +2 Savinelli.
I also recently bought a Huge International Series by Gardesana. I bought it because it was only $40 and I liked the way it looked. I didn't really expect much from it. It's become one of my favorite smokers.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Savinelli
If you don't want to use the filter it comes with an adapter. Although in my opinion if you use the balsa wood filters that come with it you won't even notice that you were using it.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I always find it surprising that so many people from this forum will recommend Savinelli when so many refuse to use filters. I fully understand that Savinelli comes with the adapter, allowing you to smoke the pipe without the filter. But I find them not to be as good as my pipes that were designed to NOT accept a filter in the first place.
Just my $0.02

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Something else to consider, and keep an eye on (you said traditional shapes) from Chris Askwith,
http://www.askwithpipes.com/handfinished.html
The sandblasted billiard that caught my eye yesterday is gone!

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
With the 6mm Sav's I can't tell the difference with or without the filter and smoke as good or better than any other pipe I own. They all come with an adapter which I generally don't use. I would recommend them to everyone. As far as I'm concerned it's hard to find a better pipe at their price point.
I can't comment on their 9mm.
I think there's a big difference between their balsa system and regular filtered pipes.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
http://www.boswellpipes.com/pipesforsale.html
i own about 8 boswells most rhodesian design - all smoked well right out of the box.
they put up a new set of pipes on this site every thursday about 9.30 am as "pipes for sale". most as you see are in the 150-200 range .
as all their pipes are good smokers it might be worthwhile to lay out your first pipe as new - until you get in time the hang of ordering an estate where some knowledge is a plus - there are a lot of bummers out there.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Guy if you do buy one try it 3 ways. With the filter, without the filter or adapter and without the filter with the adapter. I don't really notice a difference it maybe a slightly more open draw without either but I can't tell. I personally like pipes that have a more open draw anyway. The one thing I've found is they are consistently well made and well smoking pipes. If I have a better smoking pipe it would be my Caminetto and your now talking about a 300 dollar or so pipe vs ones starting at $75.
Before my first Sav I had the same concerns and I've yet to have an issue. I bought a Brigham for that very reason and it's a nice pipe but I don't think it's as good as a Sav and mine has a pretty tight draw which annoys me a bit. I've had a few problems with the Brigham getting that little tube jammed up with small bits of tobacco which you can use a pipe cleaner to attempt to clear out.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you prefer to buy a no-filter pipe, look at the several no-filter Savinelli series such as their Oscar Lucite, some of their unfinished pipes, and a few others. If those don't grab you -- though there are a lot to choose from -- right now, I would look seriously at the Stanwell pipes at pipesandcigars.com, some of which are available in Stanwell's classic shapes for $49.99. These are mostly brushed brown and brushed black finishes, which cover any pits and fills and can therefore be sold at this low price. I think they smoke alarmingly well for pipes at this entry level. I don't want to compare them with exalted brands, but I have done so in the privacy of my mind. They are very good smokers. I have a pot shape that is one of the Iversson shapes, and a Canadian that is a good example of that shape. It's a way to build a worthy rotation at a really modest price.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I have a number of Barontini brand pipes which are well made, look great and are truly good smokers. Among many, many other brands...

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
If I had $200 to spend on a pipe this is what I would get,
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=191001

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
I am new to smoking a pipe, but I would spend more on a variety of blends to try out rather than dropping it all on 1 pipe. Find out what I liked and disliked before taking the plunge for a $200 purchase.

gogosamgo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
$200 can get you an incredible pipe. As many mentioned, Savinelli is always a safe bet, but a few other pipe makers that are worth looking into would be: Neerup, Moretti, Nording, and Neptune.

Status
Not open for further replies.