PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
I have hundreds of "best ever" songs, in many genres, that to choose just three would be quite impossible.
But, trying to cleave to the theme, these three would certainly be among those at the top:

Jan 8, 2013
I'm a lover of all forms of music from Rock & Roll to Metal to Country, Classical, Celtic, Blues, etc., etc., etc., I could list three songs, but then tomorrow I would list another three songs and so on. I've probably said "Ooooh! This is my favorite song!" to about 1000 different songs rotf

There are certainly some great ones listed in this thread to go back and listen to, though.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Hard to choose just three, and it will probably be different tomorrow, but for now:

My Favorite Things by John Coltrane
Riddle of Steel/Riders of Doom by Basil Poledouris
A Mighty Fortress is our God by Martin Luther

Dec 24, 2012
  1. Hurt - the Johnny Cash version of the Trent Reznor song
  2. Chelsea Hotel #2 - Leonard Cohen
  3. Me and Bobby Mcgee - the acoustic Kristofferson version (he wrote the song, of course) is much better than the Janis Joplin version, in my view.
Poncho and Lefty

The late, great Townes Van Zandt wrote this wonderful song, of course, which is also a favourite of mine. I personally enjoy his version over the Willie Nelson/Haggard version - I love Willie and Haggard, but their version has that 80s synthesizer vibe to it that makes me enjoy their version a lot less than Townes' original stripped down acoustic version, but that is just my take.

Last edited:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Leontyne Price, the aria from Madam Butterfly; I don't even speak the language and am not a cryer, but tear up. Only the angels.

Susanne by Leonard Cohen

Various songs by Doc Watson

& a world of other songs and instrumental music, Wanda Landowska, Bach

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
This is almost a silly question. There are so many songs and so many genres to pick just three. I went with some bluegrass classic but opera, country, early rock 'n' roll etc.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Yup, as others have expressed, it is almost impossible to narrow down to 3 choices. Maybe by genre but even then it would still be difficult.

There is one song, however, that I would list. I have heard some fantastic remakes/covers of it but nothing will ever come close to the original.

What A Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong:

f5rd2hy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 24, 2017
NV
My Old School, Steely Dan
Thick as a Brick, Jethro Tull
Hypnotized, Fleetwood mac

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Let's go down another road :)

Handel's Water Music.
J.S. Bach Brandenburg Concerto No. 2 Movement 3
Theme song from: "The Rockford Files". :)
A song by definition involves singing. I do not believe the Bach and Handel choices qualify as songs although these pieces are undoubtedly impressive.
It is not possible for me to chose 3 songs. Easier are the songs I'm likely to actually sing out loud. Happy Birthday to You and Auld Lang Syne are the only songs I'm likely to sing in the presence of other people (my children excepted, with them a large number of children's songs and songs of my own creation can be added).

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
A song by definition involves singing. I do not believe the Bach and Handel choices qualify as songs although these pieces are undoubtedly impressive.
It is not possible for me to chose 3 songs. Easier are the songs I'm likely to actually sing out loud. Happy Birthday to You and Auld Lang Syne are the only songs I'm likely to sing in the presence of other people (my children excepted, with them a large number of children's songs and songs of my own creation can be added).
Most music I listen to doesn't have singing, I would have to change my answers.... this is a good one though:

Status
Not open for further replies.