PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I think it was factory, because if it were made with a reamer, it wouldn't have been so uniform. And, the bowl thickness at the top is standard for that shape. I think it was drilled that way from the get-go.
Agreed. Personally, I think it was a mistake, I've NEVER seen it before, and I have quite a few Sasieni made pipes, both firsts and seconds. However, what really matters is how it smokes!
Also, just because, a saddle stem Old England in the Danzey shape,
danzey-004-600x450.jpg

danzey-018-600x450.jpg

:)

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The Danzey is one shape I've not yet acquired.
I bought this Shape 79 Sasieni Windsor, but it came with a cracked shank. The seller gave me a refund and said to keep it. I'm going to have Norwoods band it and then restore it.
s-l1600.jpg

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
"I suspect fnord is using the pipe sans-tube."
Right you are, Al. As a flat-earther, those metal inserts are highly suspect. I don't like them and they always get removed. (The only tubes I use on a regular basis are the killer maple inserts on my vintage Brighams.)
Dave, I don't think this Berkley tube was a "mistake." The metal insert was well stained and encrusted with residue: gnarly as hell. However, it's also my first metal tube amongst numerous Sasieni first and seconds I've owned.
Fnord

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Fine work as always Al. I’d love know to how you get those chambers so squeaky clean.
Can’t wait to see that Sasieni 79 when you’re done. What a great profile. How bad is the crack? I love banded pipes but it’d be nice to keep that original if possible.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Dave, I don't think this Berkley tube was a "mistake."
No, absolutely not. I was referring to the way the chamber was drilled. I've seen all kinds of hardware in Sasieni made pipes, however, never a chamber drilled like your Berkeley.
:)

usrkain47

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2017
Tennessee
060d9a5e-6dcd-4f48-889e-2c7720578dea-600x450.jpg

3a960cbf-4046-4b86-896c-cef01f46faa1-600x450.jpg

Hopefully this works. Haha! Let me first start by saying that I’ve been a lurker here for sometime and have found information on this forum immensely useful!
Anyway I thought this was a good place to say hello! Very nice Sasieni bulldog’s there! I love mine. I have an 87 as well. Fabulous smokers both! @ ssjones I had been eyeing that nice craggy 79 pipe when it went up and almost pulled the trigger. I’m sorry to hear about the crack!
Apologies as the pictures uploaded out of rotation...

usrkain47

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2017
Tennessee
It is indeed! It’s a bit small in the bowl area so does not get smoked quite as much as I would prefer but it’s balance and smoking ability is impeccable. I do smoke a squat Old England 87 bulldog a great deal as it is a perfect group 4 size bowl for me. Unfortunately the button is quite worn on it, so it isn’t the most comfortable pipe to smoke. Either way I do love the Sasieni bulldogs!

Status
Not open for further replies.