PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

frostyforge

Lurker
Mar 30, 2010
So far all my pipes (a total of...1) are straight, but I'm makin a few clays and at least 2 are going to be 1/4 bent

menckenite

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
It depends on the pipe. If I consider it a beautiful piece of art and can afford it, then I buy it; bent or straight.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
It depends on the pipe. If I consider it a beautiful piece of art and can afford it, then I buy it; bent or straight.
I think that is true of most of us.

My taste in pipes tends toward moderately curved.

But, I do have a three or four straight and about the same number of calabashes.

The balance being somewhere in between.

caliguy

Might Stick Around
Jul 30, 2010
For me it depends on my mood and what I'm doing at the time. I've had straights, 1/4 bent, full bent, church wardens and so on. I do find the bents are easier to carry in my pocket, for obvious reasons.
I have yet to master the art of holding a pipe in my mouth while working with my hands doing something else, and not drooling all over the place like the village idiot. However when I do try, I find the bents easier to deal with.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
When I first started smoking a pipe I tended to lean towards the straights, but in the last month or so I have been looking to buy some more bent pipes. I still love my straights though!

redfox

Might Stick Around
Jun 16, 2010
I definitely prefer straights, although on occasion a 1/4 bent will catch my eye; but, that's a RARE occasion!!

raf66

Might Stick Around
Mar 2, 2010
Out of my modest collection of maybe 20 pipes, the bents outnumber the straights a bit. However, I don't think I prefer one type over the other. And in actuality, I hate that I can't get a pipe cleaner straight through really any of my bents whilst smoking, which is something I can do with ease with my straights. It sure helps the pipe from smoking too wet/gurgly.

pens87

Lurker
Jul 24, 2010
1/4 to 1/2 bent here. Ditto on the other comments regarding looks. I think many of us see smoking the pipe as a hobby equal parts smoking and collecting pieces of "art" in a sense. For me a pipe also has to just feel right in the hand; just one of the intangibles of the hobby that are important for me.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Hi pens87 and welcome to the forums. I think you got to the crux of the matter when you said that the hobby is an admixture of interests: smoking; art collecting; tinkering and futzing with the associated toys; and constant exploration of new tobacco blends, pipe shapes and materials. There's so much more to this than a mere, vulgar habit. (I won't even go into the cultivation of personal skills like identifying leaf varieties, etc.!)

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I hate that I can't get a pipe cleaner straight through really any of my bents whilst smoking,

Raf66 this is one area where higher end pipes tend to be superior. I have 5 or 6 high end bent pipes, all - through which I can easily pass pipe cleaners, and I also have several mid-range pipes that I cannot and some I can.

It is one test that I perform before purchasing any pipe (now). I simply pass a pipe cleaner down the air hole. If it does not progress smoothly I reject the pipe, and begin browsing again. For example: my Petersons (one bent, one straight); if I had attempted to pass a pipe cleaner through them, I wouldn't purchase them now. But, live and learn. My Cavicchi's every one is drilled beautifully (bent and straight), no problem with the cleaner test on any I have ever seen. That's one difference between a $50 to $80 pipe and a $250 to $350+ pipe that is quantifiable.

However: I will not say that mid and lower end pipes will always fail this test. It is however one test that I recommend. It is worth the effort when looking for a pipe, bent or straight.

bronxbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 23, 2010
New York
My first pipe (about 30 years ago)was a bent and that has remained my preference but I do get in the mood for a straight once and while.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
A few months ago I had a tobacconist ask me that same question while I was looking over his pipes for sale.
I told him "I started out buying only bents but lately I have been gravitating towards straights".
He asked me "Any reason why?"
I had to answer "Not really, I am just going through a straights phase I guess."
I enjoy them both.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I have both but lately I seem to prefer straights. I think they look better and that you look better when smoking one. :D

flanative

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2010
I lean more towards Bents but one of my favorite pipes is a LHS Billard straight that for some unknown reason I am overly fond of.

Status
Not open for further replies.