PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregjl

Lurker
Jul 19, 2019
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Hello All, This may be a newbie question but, are all bent pipes drilled out with that extra drilled out area in the stem to collect moisture the way the Peterson is? Or are some designed like a straw? ( no extra drilled out space). It makes sense and works well but it might be proprietary for whatever reason. Just looking to maybe expand my horizons a little. I own three Pete's and I like them but you know.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
oombad.jpg This arrangement is worse than a more carefully done one, like so: oomgood.jpg And the reason is, the airway in the second pipe meets the stem in the middle (where the hole is bound to be) so the smoke can just come up and out with no problems. The first pipe is a lot more like what you'll see on a LOT of bent pipes, and that's kind of why bents have a reputation for gurgling and general fussiness. It's certainly not true of the best ones, but there are a lot of crummy ones around. So the first pipe would have to have SOME kind of dead space - if the tenon reached the bottom of the mortise, literally no air could come through. What you find in any given pipe.... well, depends on the shape, the brand, filters or system type... there's no single rule for sure.

Jul 13, 2020
Hi, Sasquatch. Only problem with your second illustration is the size of the tenon, which leaves practically no briar around it. Which could be solved with a thicker shank, but that’s a different shape. No doubt, anything over a 1/4 bent is going to involve compromise. There is such a thing as a curved draft hole, known as a “drifted shank.” Viprati does some amazing ones. I’d love to be able to do it, but again it is a compromise — with conventional drilling, a draft hole that becomes restricted over time can easily be reopened with a drill. Curved hole, not so much. Also, the curved hole is “nibbled” and not a smooth airway surface. Again, a compromise. I think it is possible to make a bent pipe that does not suffer from gurgles and that performs as well as a straight pipe, but there are limits.

I have a bent Peterson that I re-stemmed and opened up that smokes great, so the “well system” is not an impediment to a good smoke, in my opinion. Cleaning is another matter. Again, compromise.

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
I have a couple pipes with the drilled out spot to collect moisture. They aren't Peterson's. One is an Everest and the other a no name Italian one. I took the stinger out of the Everest and it smokes great. If I blow back through the pipe every so often the moisture just gets pushed back in that hole an it's a dry smoke with no gurgle. It's a little annoying to clean, having to take off the stem and put a pipe cleaner in the hole but it actually performs quite well.

Reactions: Casual

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Brigham's bents' drilling:

Brigham-pipes-piping-bent.jpg

Needless to say, these won't pass a cleaner (big deal).

Brigham's straights will pass a cleaner, but you'll have to twist it as they are not drilled dead centre (this is by design, and not 'poor' drilling).

Reactions: Casual

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Seeing the drilling on bent pipes makes me insecure. Ha. I've always glibly assumed the airway went right down the center of the briar whatever the pipe's configuration, and that only the system pipes had a moisture trap or any other complication. I think I will sustain my fantasy. Imagining all those tunnels snaking around through the briar like a subway line puts me off.

Status
Not open for further replies.