PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What's your liking on pipe stems, bent or straight, and why? I seem to have accumulated

nearly all of the variations and permutations from straight-out billiards, Canadian, and

Lovat, to fully bent billiards, ball, sitter, and Peterson B11's, and an array of subtly or

somewhat bent pipes including pokers, Dublin, prince and diplomat.
I think fully bent provides a nice kind of physical folding in around the pipe and the smoke,

a nice sort of introspective posture that is good for pondering a question or project,

whereas straight stems put me in a more active mood and mode, prepping for a

conversation or phone call. I guess some smokers really prefer only one type, straight or

bent, but I seem to need them all, like notes on a keyboard. How about you?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Apologies to eazye77 here -- he already launched this subject earlier, but I phrased it differently, headed

it up differently.
Yes, straight pipes definitely take a pipe cleaner right through, as few fully bent pipes do. Variety

obviously means a lot to me.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I just love the look and feel of bents, all the way to the OomPaul shape.
However, almost every bent I own gathers moisture quite quickly and they are hard to run a standard cleaner through.
I've found that the falcon narrow cleaner helps alot with this challange.
My purchases now are going to near straight. I can see why many pipe lovers go for straights-they are just easier to clean. For me, though, a striaght has to be light in weight.

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
I like bent stem the most but not full bent, there are however a couple straight stems I've seen that I would like to own.

okrent

Might Stick Around
Mar 12, 2013
I agree with straight pipes being easier to clean and less prone to gurgle but I just love a big pipe with a bent stem. And most of mine are just that.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
I like the appearance of both types, but I find myself smoking more and more bent stems. I find them to be a lot more comfortable, as I'm usually doing something with my hands.

phil22

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 19, 2013
My stems used to always be with lots of bend. However, the older I get I tend to prefer and purchase either straight or slight bend. I am not sure why.

Status
Not open for further replies.