PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Arthur summed it up well.

The design is really nice to smoke, the bent bulldogs usually hang really easily in the mouth without getting in the way of what your doing. So there is something to the shape smoking well, but I think its just the classic elegance of a nice bulldog that sets it apart.

Like Jason pointed out too, theres so many ways to interpret it, tall bulldogs, squat bulldogs, bents, changing the proportions of the stem to the bowl, the angle of the lines etc.

They all look good.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
I would like to try it on my Chppendale as it is an ugly plain looking pipe. Please post some info about your method.

jasongone

Mar 23, 2011
locopony i just sand em down and go to town with my dremel.

i usually use the small round burl bits.

jasongone

Mar 23, 2011
i use some water colour based stains and some of the alcohol based dyes.

they can be had easily on line, i get most of mine from a local place called woodcraft. huge place... good prices. i know they have stores all over.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
So you just sand the finsh off then feehand your design into the wood. Use some black dye or stain in the rusticated area then ..... just some wood lotion or bees wax?
I am going to give it a go with the chippendale I have. Its a very plain looking London.

jasongone

Mar 23, 2011
i wax with carnauba after. there have been a few that i have used stain on the unrusticated parts, but usually i just wax them.

my black stain is almost always the water based stain. this you can get at home depot. minwax makes one that's nice and thick (if you wanna get black black) and the depot also does mixed water based stains if you wanna try more.

i will say it seems like the dyes are the way to go if you want colours... green red blue. most of the water based stains i have toyed with in these kind of colours just have no punch to them. but the water based ones are very good for the black and more traditional wood stains... walnut, pecan, and such. from what i have played with so far.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
rusticated3.png

rusticated2.png

Here is my first attempt at rusticating one not as good as yours but not bad for a first.

jasongone

Mar 23, 2011
no not bad at all.

i like to build slowly so i am always doing a bit more than i think i should. double and triple the layers of cutting and dimpling. i think you will be surprised.

funny your results look almost exactly like the first one i did. it's around here somewhere. i'll tyr and find it.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
So you think could get a smaller bit and hit it again or should I leave this one alone and do another one. I was worried about going too far. It was an ugly dark reddish brown and you could hardly see the wood grain. Man it was an ugly pipe but I like it much better now. It actually had a very nice wood grain hidden under that dark crap on it.

jasongone

Mar 23, 2011
really up to you man. i approach it like any art medium; "work until it is finished to you." (robert henri) so it's hard to give advice on execution without thinking what I would do, ya know.

i'd say finish the pipe up to the point you are happy and put a thread up here and see what everyone thinks.

jasongone

Mar 23, 2011
thanks clanobucklin. i've always liked the look of partial rust, and i much prefer a textured pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.