PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I just opened a tin of Bengal Slices that I obtained about a month ago, contents seemed pretty dry to me, crumbles readily no effort at all. The tin seal seemed okay got the "whoosh" when I opened it and it seems to smoke okay. Is this consistent with the experience of others?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It's like War Horse. You're paying for more tobacco weight than water. Load a bowl, blow warm breath through the pipe until you feel heat rising from the bowl, light and enjoy!

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Yes, that's consistent with my experience. It comes a little on the drier side.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
This seems to be true of all the STP blends. My Bengal Slices smoked fine out of the tin but I wouldn't want it any drier. I jarred all my STP blends right away to keep them at their current moisture. Chasingembers trick to re-hydrate a pipe's worth of tobacco has worked for me many times and I may try it with these blends to see if a bit more moisture enhances the flavor.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I think you'll find it does. Another way is to take, say, a half a tin's worth and put it in a thick plastic bag with a shard of pottery (terra cotta) that's soaked in water a few minutes. If you over hydrate it, mix the dry stuff with the damp stuff till just right.
My Smyrna tins come in with a 68% RH at 70º, about 10% drier than I like. But easy enough to adjust.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Smoke it, my man... I'ts delicious and the others are correct, Russ' blends come at the correct moisture level and need no drying time before you light up. Such a fantastic blend! Think I'll go ahead and choose this for my morning pipe.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
Yeah, that's my experience with it as well. I haven't tried adjusting the moisture level because it's so perfect to me right out of the tin and into a jar.

Status
Not open for further replies.