PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
They look cool. As said, if it wasnt for sandblasting or rustication there would be a whole lot of ugly smooth pipes on the market. Rusticated pipes LOOK rough on most pictures, but in reality aren't as rough as they appear. Pictures on online pipeshops are normally taken in a lighting you will never have or you must like your lighting really really bright. I was also that person that thought factory rustication looked like a pineapple and not a lot could pull it off, but watching photo's on this forum shows rustication can be quite nice. I really like the wire rustication that Briarworks does and the finer rustication on Italian pipes like Ser Jacopo, Jacono, Castello and Radice is really nice. Rusticated Meerschaum is also something that is generally not liked, I have to admit I like the rustication on my meerschaum more than the smooth meerschaum I own.

If were talking mechanics like @cosmicfolklore did, I do think the theory works that way. I'm no expert and didn't smoke enough different grades of pipes to fully support this statement, so don't take my word for it; If were talking practical, tobacco contents, moisture of tobacco, your packing, lighting and smoking technique attribute waaaaaaaaaay more than the finish or even (dare I say) the material of a pipe to your smoking experience.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
While we're on the subject of sandblast, I'd just like to say, I like my pipes that have the deep gnarly blast that is deeply textured and casts shadows in the grooves. But I also like lighter and even very light blasts that lend a kind of subtle sheen to briar. I think the deep blasts are always counted as impressive whereas the light blasts are just so-so. I have a Tsuge so-called tasting pipe with an exceedingly light blast that I find impressive for just that reason, and it has the Tsuge quality at a moderate price, which adds to my appreciation.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I used to only like smooth pipes when I first started a few years back, no I’m all about the sandblast! Just because a pipe is blasted doesn’t necessarily mean it’s crap or horribly flawed briar. I’m a fan of Ashton pipes, they’re a bit known for their blasts, and they’re not using crappy blocks for their pipes. A couple of examples from my fleet:

EC63ACAB-57E5-4A10-BF0E-22884FC434CC.jpeg

5C41B47B-7E3C-466A-941D-2614865BC4A1.jpeg

The Rhodesian has a pretty delicate blast, the lovat much deeper and craggy. Both smoke just as well. If you want to keep blasts clean, though, I believe Halcyon wax is the preferred method? Someone can correct me on that. Point being, it’s a bit more work than just buffing a smooth pipe with a cloth. Or you could just not give a crap and smoke them ?‍♂️

Also, quite a few blasted pipes do have smooth rims as others have said. I only have one such pipe, but I don’t baby it any more than the others and it holds up just fine.

61382CA5-4C9F-4256-9407-DA3A00A57ECA.jpeg

Go get some sandblasted pipes, they’re awesome!

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
It
I used to only like smooth pipes when I first started a few years back, no I’m all about the sandblast! Just because a pipe is blasted doesn’t necessarily mean it’s crap or horribly flawed briar. I’m a fan of Ashton pipes, they’re a bit known for their blasts, and they’re not using crappy blocks for their pipes. A couple of examples from my fleet:

View attachment 134584

View attachment 134585

The Rhodesian has a pretty delicate blast, the lovat much deeper and craggy. Both smoke just as well. If you want to keep blasts clean, though, I believe Halcyon wax is the preferred method? Someone can correct me on that. Point being, it’s a bit more work than just buffing a smooth pipe with a cloth. Or you could just not give a crap and smoke them ?‍♂️

Also, quite a few blasted pipes do have smooth rims as others have said. I only have one such pipe, but I don’t baby it any more than the others and it holds up just fine.

View attachment 134587

Go get some sandblasted pipes, they’re awesome!
It is their classic shapes and exceptional sandblast paired with that ruby stain which originally got me into Ashtons + they are very good ,dependable smokers

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
It

It is their classic shapes and exceptional sandblast paired with that ruby stain which originally got me into Ashtons + they are very good ,dependable smokers
All of mine smoke flawlessly. I have seen some examples of recent manufacture that were blasted so forcefully that the shape was actually a bit distorted. Not a fan of that personally, but otherwise I have nothing bad to say about them. Top quality and generally way less expensive than a Dunhill.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
All of mine smoke flawlessly. I have seen some examples of recent manufacture that were blasted so forcefully that the shape was actually a bit distorted. Not a fan of that personally, but otherwise I have nothing bad to say about them. Top quality and generally way less expensive than a Dunhill.
Interesting about being blasted out of shape!

BTW, your photos are superb. Thanks.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I enjoy a variety of finishes depending on the individual pipe and how the whole package comes together. A good rusticated finish can be its own kind of perfection, and I even like some of the less artful rustication on some U.S. factory pipes that has its own appeal, like 1950's U.S. cars.

After all, I remember those cars when they were brand new.

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
I’m this smooth right now. (Pic below). And while absolutely love this pipe, it’s always a back-and-forth with whatever climate I’m in as to how it feels in my hand. I rarely (and poorly) clench. So my hands are on the pipe a lot. With the smoove (technical term), my hand will often sweat, or get clammy. Not a big deal. But can be a distraction. Not usually an issue with my rusties (technical term). image.jpg