PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Just wondering if their are any of the Ben Wade pipes floating around that were made in Leeds England and way before Preban Holm era
I’m not crazy about the large freehand style pipes even tho most of Preban pipes look amazing ,
They show up from time to time. I have about 6 of them and they are all terrific smokers.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Ok. I have been looking today , just haven’t clinked on rite ones yet , all. Made in London or London made. I’ll keep clicking… Thanks
Might be a false flag, saw same guy selling 2 and the post headline was "leeds" when i looked they were both london made, i let him know and the posts are gone now lol at least hes fixing them i guess? Do you have a list of the pipe types you are looking for like Brogue or whatever?

Reactions: Jeebs1

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Just wondering if their are any of the Ben Wade pipes floating around that were made in Leeds England and way before Preban Holm era
I’m not crazy about the large freehand style pipes even tho most of Preban pipes look amazing ,
I reckon one shows up on eBay at a rate of about once a month? Prices have been steadily increasing (as has competition). Many years ago I bought a London-made Ben Wade (likely produced in the Walthamstow factory) and I enjoyed it very much. Leaning into the history of the brand was only natural, and in those days the Leeds-era Ben Wades could be snapped up relatively cheaply, as only a handful of collectors were truly aware of their inherent value and well-deserved place among the Brit-wood classics. For years I bought every single Leeds-era Wade I came across. Fortunately at this point in the arc of my collecting, I can focus on real rarities rather than buying up every pipe I come across. And I hope, with the start of a new job after this year, that I can begin work on a history of Ben Wade (Leeds) and document a lot of the material of historical value that I've accumulated over the years.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
My Ben Wade is stamed STANDARD LONDON ENGLAND.
I haven't looked into Ben Wade history so I'm not sure where that falls in the timeline you're referring to.

Reactions: Jeebs1

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I think that's Big Ben.
I thought he was made in OH at least he was born there.

but back to regularly scheduled programming, @greeneyes i was just thinking would the OP have better luck searching Europe if he is actually looking for LEEDS stamped pipes, granted i was only searching North America but I realized that some of these pipes from England are much easier to find there, especially old estates.

Reactions: BenMN and greeneyes

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I thought he was made in OH at least he was born there.

but back to regularly scheduled programming, @greeneyes i was just thinking would the OP have better luck searching Europe if he is actually looking for LEEDS stamped pipes, granted i was only searching North America but I realized that some of these pipes from England are much easier to find there, especially old estates.
It actually turns out that, similarly to Sasieni, Leeds-era Ben Wades were imported to the USA on a rather significant scale. There was a big push in the '20s in terms of advertising here in the USA, and importation continued through at least the late 40s to mid '50s. Ben Wade (Leeds) and some seconds lines were mentioned in Wally Frank catalogs. They were imported to other commonwealth countries like Canada and Australia as well, and to a lesser extent South Africa. Fortunately for us, this period between '20s - '50s was a great period for Leeds pipes and they're not as rare here (USA) as one might think.