PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Englomatic

Lurker
Jun 18, 2020
Central Virginia
Hello Forums,

I have been lurking religiously for years but have yet to introduce myself. I started piping in 2016. I signed up a couple of years ago, but really have not found the need to post. The search function has helped to answer most of my questions. Trial and error has answered the rest, so far.

I have been through most of the beginner problems. I am a gravity-filling, tobacco-drying, PAD and TAD-suffering novice. But I love it. I probably smoke 10-12 bowls per week, as much as my schedule will allow. My TAD is much more advanced than my PAD.

My TAD has led me to have a breadth of tobaccos, but very little depth. I tend to go all in on a hobby, so I have collected a ton of blends. I am still in the sampling stage, so I have only gone deep on 3 or 4. Not very deep at that. I hate to have too many open and also hate to waste what I have opened. So I have a ton of unopened tobaccos, just waiting for the tasting. I have yet to taste a tobacco that I truly dislike. There are those that do not exite me, so I figure it is time to narrow the field a bit and find what I truly like. Of course, I want to keep the unexciting blends to see if I like them better with age.

A lot of my questions will be like my first one: I am on the verge of finishing a tin of Haunted Bookshop (2016). It does a great job of scratching that Burley itch. I am not averse to opening another tin, but I think I should try something else in the same vein that I already have. Old Joe Krantz? Pegasus? Big N Burley? I like the Perique in Haunted Bookshop so I am leaning towards Old Joe Krantz, according to what I have read. Of course, I might be tempted to purchase something else based on your recommendations, but I would like to limit it to what I already have.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. It will be nice to meet you.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Welcome to the forum, from Southern California. Like you, my TAD is far stronger than my PAD, which, following the receipt of several gifts, is virtually non-existent now. I also went wide rather than deep, so we have that in common too.

I'll defer to the burley aficionados now. Enjoy the journey!

Reactions: anotherbob

Latakia Dave

Lifer
Mar 4, 2021
Shenandoah Vally Virginia
Hello Forums,

I have been lurking religiously for years but have yet to introduce myself. I started piping in 2016. I signed up a couple of years ago, but really have not found the need to post. The search function has helped to answer most of my questions. Trial and error has answered the rest, so far.

I have been through most of the beginner problems. I am a gravity-filling, tobacco-drying, PAD and TAD-suffering novice. But I love it. I probably smoke 10-12 bowls per week, as much as my schedule will allow. My TAD is much more advanced than my PAD.

My TAD has led me to have a breadth of tobaccos, but very little depth. I tend to go all in on a hobby, so I have collected a ton of blends. I am still in the sampling stage, so I have only gone deep on 3 or 4. Not very deep at that. I hate to have too many open and also hate to waste what I have opened. So I have a ton of unopened tobaccos, just waiting for the tasting. I have yet to taste a tobacco that I truly dislike. There are those that do not exite me, so I figure it is time to narrow the field a bit and find what I truly like. Of course, I want to keep the unexciting blends to see if I like them better with age.

A lot of my questions will be like my first one: I am on the verge of finishing a tin of Haunted Bookshop (2016). It does a great job of scratching that Burley itch. I am not averse to opening another tin, but I think I should try something else in the same vein that I already have. Old Joe Krantz? Pegasus? Big N Burley? I like the Perique in Haunted Bookshop so I am leaning towards Old Joe Krantz, according to what I have read. Of course, I might be tempted to purchase something else based on your recommendations, but I would like to limit it to what I already have.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. It will be nice to meet you.
Welcome from Virginia

mav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 14, 2021
Chicago
Welcome from Chicago! I found OJK to be a smoother and tastier smoke than HB. I love burleys but both of these were too much in the nicotine department for me. Some good burleys to try are Mac Baren Golden Extra, HH Burley Flake, Solani Aged Burley, Sutliff BL/WB. If you are not familiar with Tobaccoreviews.com that is the place to go!

helistone

Lurker
Jun 17, 2022
Germany
Welcom from Germany!
Don't be afraid of opening new tins.
You can jar them, if you don't like them at the moment. They stay good over a long time... No waste here.
This will allow you to learn what you really like. Meaning no waste of time?.
Try some bowls, check. Jar or smoke through.

Reactions: TheIronMonkey