PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

batmansmoker

Lurker
Sep 18, 2012
I'm sure there are many posts on this topic already, so I'm sorry to rehash an old subject, but I'm new to pipe smoking and have only owned one pipe, a basic straight Dr. Grabow. I'm looking to get something different, but still need it to be under the $60 range.
I've been looking at the Brigham Voyageur 1-Dot Pipe #123 - Rustic Pot. Does anyone have an recommendations or otherwise for Brigham pipes? Or are there any general recommendations about pipes in this price range?

subtech77

Might Stick Around
Jul 26, 2012
Hello and welcome. I have 3 Chacom pipes and they are all good value pipes. And they look very nice too. You can take a look here http://pipesandcigars.com/chacompipes.html
If you want to put a little more money on the table later on, Refbjerg is maybe the best value you can get for your money. They are handcrafted and of high quality. But a little bit more expencive. But for now I can recomend Chacom. They have a very long history.

subtech77

Might Stick Around
Jul 26, 2012
And maybe Bjarne-pipes can suit you well. I have no experience with those pipes, but I think they are high quality compared to the ok price. http://store.pipesandcigars.com/bjarne.html

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
+1 for the Bjarne pipes. great quality and great smokers. Mkelaw a sponsor here has a section of estate pipes for under 50 bucks and at times there are unsmoked pipes listed.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I would go corncob pipes, they are cheap and allow you to find a shape you really like. I use them for 90% of my smoking a couple years after starting because they tend to smoke better than any briar due to their large airways and if your a clencher, having 50 cent stems that you can replace yourself is a Godsend.

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
Ditto the ditto on cobs. It has little to do with price. Cobs are great smokers at any price. The cheap is just icing on the cake.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Have you considered an estate pipe? Browsing around smokingpipes.com (and not working too hard at it), I noticed a Stanwell, a Bjarne, a Savinelli, and a Brebbia at $60 and under. Going that route might get you the most for your money.

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
Ditto the ditto of the ditto On the cobs :) They are as good as any lower price range briar and sometimes better than some of the higher price ranges.

batmansmoker

Lurker
Sep 18, 2012
Thanks so much for the input!
I went ahead with Jud's input and found a Savinelli 626 estate pipe on smokingpipes.com for $35. Seemed like a decent deal and something to get me started.

I'll for sure look into cobs as well, though. Can't beat the price.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
Yea the estate pipes are nice. My first pipe was an estate, and a gift at that. I still use that pipe regularly because it's perfect for my aro smoking. I have a handful of others that I rotate with. Bjarne pipes are great. And ofcourse, the cobs work wonders.

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
Get the Brigham!! They are GREAT pipes at a reasonable price. Filters actually WORK like they are suppose to, and you can get 30-40 smokes from one filter!
And if you're Canadian, they are a Canadian company, gotta support Canada!!
I've got a Brigham voyageur and absolutely love it! In fact, I want many more!! It's prob one of the best smokers I have.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
You didn't go wrong with the Savinelli. My first pipes were a Dr Grabow estate(smoked beter after I pulled the metal thing out of the bit), a Savinelli estate and a Missouri Meerschaum Cob. You might as well try the cobs as they will likely end up in your rotation. I so far favor the MM Country Gentleman and the MM Great Dane. Enjoy the Savinelli.

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
Savinelli

Peterson

Stanwell

Butz-Choquin

Karl Erik

Brebbia

Bjarne
All good buys at the 50-ish range

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Excellent choice on the estate Savinelli. My first pipe was a Sav and it is a very good smoker. I personally do not care for cobs but that is me. In my experience, I have found that you get the best smoke from a good quality briar pipe. Well aged quality briar will burn cooler and drier and therefore will make the tobacco taste better. With the estate market being what it is, you can buy excellent quality briar pipes for under 50.00. I recently bought 2 Lane Era Charatans, one was 35.00 and the other was 46.00, both are very good smokers and they certainly did not break the bank.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I think you could do a lot worse then any of the Savinelli's in the $40$60 dollar range.
At $56 this one is temping me.

sta320.jpg

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Doc, I bought that one & a trevis???, similar shape. it hasn't arrived yet, but I am liking the sav's again. I think they are great for me Batman & this site has made my disease worse, buying more piepes!

Cheaper than glocks, smiths & 1911's!

Unless you count the 25 types of tobacco everyone here makes you buy!

clyde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
If you are still at the looking stage consider Kriswill. They are made in Denmark and are a Erik Nording product. Also right in your price range.

Status
Not open for further replies.