Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha ha, I am just kidding you. We actually agree 9 out of 10 times on our posts. We tend to like a lot of the same things. So, I had just posted the quote and the thing about opinions to show that none of us are perfectly correct. There's a lot of science and art mingling together in this pipesmoking biz. :puffy:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hi Micheal, no big. Just let me know when you get in those robes with the gigantic "M" embroidered on them and I'll order one. :D
BTW, I do have one pipe I had made with a very narrow, .5, conical bowl for testing out blends. Works great for giving me the constituents in high relief. But it doesn't always give me the best balance for general smoking. That varies with different bowls.

Terrycloth? My initial? I'm lost... Yeh, I have one pipe that is supposed to be a taster also, with a 1 to 1 ratio, but with an extreme conical shape but only .5" wide, very small. I can taste well with it, but it also can turn any blend into a viscous pitbull of the tongue. Weird how that works.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Smoking jackets, gents, not robes. Purple velvet with black satin trim. The big M can stand for Maestro, so we can order in bulk.....

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Yeah, it's a plus to publish the dimensions, and most sites are doing it."
Mike Billington of Blakemar Briars goes one step further, he also lists the cubic capacity of the pipes he makes. This I find most useful when it comes to buying a pipe.
Regards,
Jay.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I smoked both of these tobaccos in my full size pipes (Luca Vanetti and Corleon) and they are absolutely awesome, I taste and smell every flavor and enjoy them. But when I pack them in to the smaller pipes and smoke them, all I taste is plain smoke. The flavor and aroma disappears.
This is fairly normal. First, the draw of a pipe will make you regulate your puffer/sipper balance differently; second, for many reasons, different blends taste differently in different pipes. I would stop packing your favorite tobaccos in small pipes and enjoy them in the full size pipes. Do we really care why this is true?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
But it's a simple formula most of us do in our heads, Jay! :) Give me the dimensions, give me a piece of pie, and I'll come up with a number. Mind you, that number is meaningless to most, including me. Cause at best I'd have to convert that to how many grams of tobacco that'd hold. Then I'd have to figure out how much my tobacco weighed, and how much to put in each chamber. Then I'd be too tired to smoke....

Status
Not open for further replies.