PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Merton

Lifer
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Smoke what you like but keep trying new blends as you will sometimes find one that you end up loving. I have been a pipesmoker for a total of nearly 40 years and anytime i order my regular blends i always throw in a couple of tins of something new to me. Lots of misses ensue but, every once in a while, i find something to like. For example, i discovered this summer that Ashton Goldrush is, for me, a really enjoyable warm weather smoke. I now have 10 tins in the cellar. I also found that sutliff Pannacotta was very enjoyable, albeit quite sweet, occasional dessert smoke. When I first began smoking a pipe I eventually fell into a Dunhill routine: early morning, 965 and Nightcap in the evening. Years on i virtually never smoke English blends with Latakia. Sort of lost its original allure. However, i just included a couple of tins of Presbyterian mixture in an order and will try it this fall and winter. Keep exploring...

Smoke dog

Lurker
Sep 21, 2021
In the dog house
I kept hearing so much about nightcap and had to try a tin. I hated it at first and then after 7 smokes, I began to tolerate it. I believe Nightcap will simply be one of those tobaccos that will be smoked maybe 3x a year. I just feel like I am smoking salt & pepper. I respect Peterson as a business but this blend doesn't do it for me.
Give EMP a go. I love love love it. It's very mild compared to NC. Also the English that first made me go "ah-ha, now i get it" was 965. It's much more sweet and not as smokey. It also doesn't have perique.

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
Give EMP a go. I love love love it. It's very mild compared to NC. Also the English that first made me go "ah-ha, now i get it" was 965. It's much more sweet and not as smokey. It also doesn't have perique.

It was similar for me with 965, though at first I didn't think I liked it, but I kept wanting to try again and than 'ah!'. I suspect also that I prefer Cavendish based 'English' blends (or are they properly Scottish?)

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Smoke what you like but keep trying new blends as you will sometimes find one that you end up loving. I have been a pipesmoker for a total of nearly 40 years and anytime i order my regular blends i always throw in a couple of tins of something new to me. Lots of misses ensue but, every once in a while, i find something to like. For example, i discovered this summer that Ashton Goldrush is, for me, a really enjoyable warm weather smoke. I now have 10 tins in the cellar. I also found that sutliff Pannacotta was very enjoyable, albeit quite sweet, occasional dessert smoke. When I first began smoking a pipe I eventually fell into a Dunhill routine: early morning, 965 and Nightcap in the evening. Years on i virtually never smoke English blends with Latakia. Sort of lost its original allure. However, i just included a couple of tins of Presbyterian mixture in an order and will try it this fall and winter. Keep exploring...
gold rush is a great summer spring smoke and rainy day by ashton is perfect for a rainy day it taste like drinking mai thais while fantasizing about being in hawai.
and most blends aren't bad just not as special as the favorites.

Reactions: Servant King

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It was similar for me with 965, though at first I didn't think I liked it, but I kept wanting to try again and than 'ah!'. I suspect also that I prefer Cavendish based 'English' blends (or are they properly Scottish?)
then you have to try c&d mountain camp the cav in it is divine and yeah it really ads something to english blends. and i think that is what scottish means except those times it does not.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I just bought some P&C Match Nightcap in an order I made in anticipation of a heavy tax that looks now, to be postponed.

I’ve kept a tin of Nightcap around for almost fifty years. It’s one of my favorite Latakia blends and it’s heavy, fruity, and very satisfying and filling.

The match version may be better. It’s certainly as good as the original. It even smells and looks the same.

7CA67711-CFFA-442A-A670-2A4CE0E23C94.jpegA22AA587-FF5C-4FFE-9847-E91FEB7C92AD.jpeg87B2D174-D26E-465F-B419-F2F18C1E5B39.jpeg34431BF4-2962-420B-8DBD-41592395A8D1.jpegUnless and until there’s a $49 tax on Match Nightcap, if you buy a pound it costs $29.12.

If I still have that old empty 1973 Nightcap tin in the milk barn and I can find it, I’m refilling it. Nobody will know the difference, but me.

Don’t tell me, this isn’t a wonderful world.

Moon Mullican might hate to see that evening sun go down, but for me it means another Nightcap.

Reactions: clynch

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
When I first started ( a few months ago lol) I thought MMP and NC were two sides of the same coin, to be smoked at different times of the same day ,boy was I wrong , love the MMP can’t get into NC , NC tastes skunky like my pipe is clogged and dirty, but there are plenty of other english blends I quite enjoy, to the cellar for a bit I guess. I smoked some C&D super Balkan today that was dark and rich but not at all skunky so it might just not be for me…

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
When I first started ( a few months ago lol) I thought MMP and NC were two sides of the same coin, to be smoked at different times of the same day ,boy was I wrong , love the MMP can’t get into NC , NC tastes skunky like my pipe is clogged and dirty, but there are plenty of other english blends I quite enjoy, to the cellar for a bit I guess. I smoked some C&D super Balkan today that was dark and rich but not at all skunky so it might just not be for me…
I’m assuming you meant EMP. And they are “kissing cousins”. They were developed as a “morning”/midday smoke and an after dinner smoke.
The only difference is the addition of Perique to the Nightcap. And I’m part of the crowd that’s come to dislike Perique in my Tobacco. Especially Acadian Perique, which is just burley given the Perique process. True Perique gives a pungent element to the smoke, like that slightly sour element to cheesecake. Acadian just gives me straight spice.

I confess; that I smoke the happy medium between the two (EMP and NC) MM965. 75% of the leaf is the same (Virginia, Latakia and Oriental) but they add non flavored Cavendish to cool/mellow the smoke. Been smoking it since the early 90’s.

8ball

Lurker
Jun 20, 2022
I love nightcap, but EVERYONE is different. Personally, I am not a huge fan of blends that are heavy in Perique. I love burley, but s9me people don't. Start with a lighter english. I was pleasantly surprised with John Bull, and it's a great place to start. Just because its more mild doesnt mean it will not have flavor. I remember when I first started, I jumped into 1792 flake. Oh boy...

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
In my smoking notes I put down that Nightcap is not as much a "Campfire" as other blends, it's actually more on the subtle side.
I'm starting to wonder if the OP is actually subconsciously a bit disappointed by the lack of fullness out of Nightcap.
Go for a G.L. Pease Lat Bomb if you want the best of what Latakia has to offer.
Great point. I was treading lightly and then tried a heavy hitter. The heavy hitter (Peterson perfect plug) was fyll and excellent. Cellar the nightcap and try a different brand.

Reactions: Servant King
May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
I bought a couple of cans of NC, just to try it, having read other's opinions/reviews. I also really liked the can's art-work.
Anyway, I don't like it. I was into MM695, during the start of my pipe-smoking journey, but since smoking VaPers and straight Va's, I just can't seem to enjoy MM695 anymore.
I also found that after smoking a bowl of Night Cap "a blend for the evening", in the erm, evening, I couldn't get to sleep! Go figure.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
Nightcap was one of my favorite blends for a long time, it checked off all the boxes I cared about. I came to like 965 as much or more. As many people seem to do, I shifted to VA. But I still have many tins of Dunhill Latakia blends, nightcap and 965 and most of the others too (they used to be $8 a tin) some from the 70's (which were not $8 a tin when I purchased them in the late 90's...they were a bit more)...and I hope I'll enjoy going back to them for a visit someday. Dunhill Nightcap used to be a solid blend and I understand that Peterson uses the same recipe. Maybe the component tobacco has changed in quality?

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I’m assuming you meant EMP. And they are “kissing cousins”. They were developed as a “morning”/midday smoke and an after dinner smoke.
The only difference is the addition of Perique to the Nightcap. And I’m part of the crowd that’s come to dislike Perique in my Tobacco. Especially Acadian Perique, which is just burley given the Perique process. True Perique gives a pungent element to the smoke, like that slightly sour element to cheesecake. Acadian just gives me straight spice.

I confess; that I smoke the happy medium between the two (EMP and NC) MM965. 75% of the leaf is the same (Virginia, Latakia and Oriental) but they add non flavored Cavendish to cool/mellow the smoke. Been smoking it since the early 90’s.
Yes EMP , I always call it M,y M, orning P, ipe , and forget I’m talking to others lol

Bob the bear

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2022
Edinburgh UK
Night cap is pretty heavy stuff for a beginner. I personally love it. BUT in saying that in the beginning I loathed it. But as my personal tastes moved away from aromatics towards English blends I revisited it and now it’s a firm favourite of mine. It’s not the best English in my opinion. But that’s a different topic.

Reactions: crossroads

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Been finding for my “nightcap” I’ve been reaching for Kramer’s Father Dempsey lately when I’m feeling English , but I’m going to get back to Peterson’s after it’s been jarred a few more months the tin was bran spanking new

Reactions: PlanxtyPipes