Before Using Your Pipes as Flower Pots or Throwing Them in a Landfill, do this...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
I've used little riffler files for the same task. Kinda old school, but they're smaller so I can see in there better.
Just think what those medieval stone masons and wood carvers could have done with a Dremel!

Reactions: telescopes

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just a personal note on this thread: I generally expect straight and slightly bent pipes to pass pipe cleaners with no problem, just logically. With near or fully bent pipes, I admire those that pass a pipe cleaner, considering that the sign of astute drilling whether by an artisan or by a skilled factory worker. However, I have never worried about a bent pipe that didn't pass a pipe cleaner. They are easily cleared when the stem is removed from time to time, and I've never had a problem with a restricted draw. That a wire won't do a U-turn in an airway has never impressed me as a defect.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I prefer they pass a pipe cleaner for the same reason @georged mentioned, tobacco bits making their way into the draft hole. And I do get the occasional gurgle when smoking outside in the colder winter months.

Simply a matter of convenience though, which in a way I suppose is a part of the overall concept of “quality”. I prefer a soft closing cupboard for the same reason. Not because it is better at storing items (it’s main purpose) but because I can close it with a roundhouse kick on the rare occasion I need to.

But smoke is perfectly capable of going around a corner if need be, so I don’t view it as any indicator of how well a pipe smokes.

Good trick to know about though.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Lately, I thought a great side business would be to restore and refit older pipes so that their draw, bit, and chamber would be more ultimately aligned to create a better and more perfect smoke. It would not change the pipe from the outside, but would improve the overall performance. Think of it as a tune up. The pipe mechanic could then add their own mark to the stem certifying the pipes new high performance status. This would provide overall value to the pipe and increase resale potential.

Yup, that sort of thing gets in your head, doesn't it? (Also known as "Perfectionists never stop perfectionating." lol )

There's a pipe modification "thing" (sort of a hobby within a hobby) that people refer to as hot rodding. Ronni B. started it almost 20 years ago.

I've messed with it a few times. Here's an example:

And here are a couple appearance improvement projects where functional optimization was included:

What you describe---optimize the inside while leaving the outside alone---is fairly routine. Some people want strict, remove crud only clean-ups, while other say performace tweak/adjust whatever you encounter along the way as PART of the clean-up process.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Lately, I thought a great side business would be to restore and refit older pipes so that their draw, bit, and chamber would be more ultimately aligned to create a better and more perfect smoke. It would not change the pipe from the outside, but would improve the overall performance. Think of it as a tune up. The pipe mechanic could then add their own mark to the stem certifying the pipes new high performance status. This would provide overall value to the pipe and increase resale potential.
One of the American carvers starting doing this 6-7 years ago, re-imagining a pipe and re-stamping it as such. I don't think it was very successful.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Yup, that sort of thing gets in your head, doesn't it? (Also known as "Perfectionists never stop perfectionating." lol )

There's a pipe modification "thing" (sort of a hobby within a hobby) that people refer to as hot rodding. Ronni B. started it almost 20 years ago.

I've messed with it a few times. Here's an example:

And here are a couple appearance improvement projects where functional optimization was included:

What you describe---optimize the inside while leaving the outside alone---is fairly routine. Some people want strict, remove crud only clean-ups, while other say performace tweak/adjust whatever you encounter along the way as PART of the clean-up process.
That would be me. But I think it could also be a branding process worth marketing. Thanks for the links.

Reactions: didimauw

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Simply a matter of convenience though, which in a way I suppose is a part of the overall concept of “quality”. I prefer a soft closing cupboard for the same reason. Not because it is better at storing items (it’s main purpose) but because I can close it with a roundhouse kick on the rare occasion I need to.

Bingo.

Even with tools and hardware, the word "quality" contains an emotional component. (Which usually involves convenience).

In cases where something is the ONLY difference, it becomes a binary switch---acceptable vs. unacceptable---instead of something that's measured on a spectrum that ranges from acceptable to unacceptable.

Humans never fail to human, in other words, even if it's just preferring the wrench with the shiniest finish when they're identical in every objectively measureable way, or a pipe whose drafthole is centered at the bottom of the mortise.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Because geometry tolerates no argument, sometimes the bottom-dead-center of a pipe's tobacco chamber and the bullseye-dead-center of its mortise floor cannot be connected with a straight line.

It isn't a brand-dependent thing, or even (necessarily) a "quality thing". It's simply three dimensional reality.

It was the case with this early production "Ashton 120". Nice looker, wonderful smoker.

The airway entered the mortise "high", however, which made running a pipecleaner through the pipe without taking it apart impossible.

Easy-peasy solution:

The yellow line is the border of a ramp that was cut into the bottom of the mortise with the tool shown. A standard-issue conical Dremel burr cutter that had its sharp outer edge ground smooth on a belt sander while spinning.

NOT removing the side edge pretty much guarantees you'll have an ugly time of it, gouging the mortise walls while trying to control the cutter (which will keep grabbing the walls in a feedback loop of briar mayhem).

NO side edge will make it stupid easy. No grabbing, just insert, push downward a bit, blip the throttle, check the cut, repeat as needed until the ramp is what that particular pipe's geometry calls for.

I've done it to hundreds of pipes for many years and never had a problem of any kind.

Should the factories do this? Of course. Do they? No. Why? Who knows... (Most of the better artisan makers DO cut a cleaner ramp when necessary, though)

Anyway, it only---literally---takes two or three minutes, and is something anyone can do who has normal coordination & eyesight.

The world's flowerpot manufacturers and landfill operators might hate you, but the PipeGods will smile.

View attachment 166477
View attachment 166478
View attachment 166479
Do you have a pic of the burr cutter without the side edge ground? I can’t picture what you’re describing and how it would cause issue.

Jbrewer2002

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
Because geometry tolerates no argument, sometimes the bottom-dead-center of a pipe's tobacco chamber and the bullseye-dead-center of its mortise floor cannot be connected with a straight line.

It isn't a brand-dependent thing, or even (necessarily) a "quality thing". It's simply three dimensional reality.

It was the case with this early production "Ashton 120". Nice looker, wonderful smoker.

The airway entered the mortise "high", however, which made running a pipecleaner through the pipe without taking it apart impossible.

Easy-peasy solution:

The yellow line is the border of a ramp that was cut into the bottom of the mortise with the tool shown. A standard-issue conical Dremel burr cutter that had its sharp outer edge ground smooth on a belt sander while spinning.

NOT removing the side edge pretty much guarantees you'll have an ugly time of it, gouging the mortise walls while trying to control the cutter (which will keep grabbing the walls in a feedback loop of briar mayhem).

NO side edge will make it stupid easy. No grabbing, just insert, push downward a bit, blip the throttle, check the cut, repeat as needed until the ramp is what that particular pipe's geometry calls for.

I've done it to hundreds of pipes for many years and never had a problem of any kind.

Should the factories do this? Of course. Do they? No. Why? Who knows... (Most of the better artisan makers DO cut a cleaner ramp when necessary, though)

Anyway, it only---literally---takes two or three minutes, and is something anyone can do who has normal coordination & eyesight.

The world's flowerpot manufacturers and landfill operators might hate you, but the PipeGods will smile.

View attachment 166477
View attachment 166478
View attachment 166479
I have done this to one of my pipes. Works well but the sharp end of the pipe cleaner sometimes still catches on the ramp.

Reactions: AroEnglish

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I have done this to one of my pipes. Works well but the sharp end of the pipe cleaner sometimes still catches on the ramp.

Exact angle, wood hardness, cleaner fluff density, wire stiffness, wire sharpness, stem bend radius (if curved), the amount of offset between the stem and shank airways, and the distance between the end of the stem airway and the ramp all factor into it.

If the cleaner does hang up, pulling it back a quarter inch and spinning a half turn (180 degrees) works 95% of the time.

Tate

Lifer
Sep 27, 2023
Northern Illinois
I'm going to give this a try. Passing a pipe cleaner is important to me because I like to run one after smoking at work where I can't really wait for it to cool down. I know I could probably just run it before the next time I smoke but I like it the other way lol. Add me to the weirdo thread hahagha

Reactions: AroEnglish

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
I'm going to give this a try. Passing a pipe cleaner is important to me because I like to run one after smoking at work where I can't really wait for it to cool down. I know I could probably just run it before the next time I smoke but I like it the other way lol. Add me to the weirdo thread hahagha

If the cleaner does hang up, pulling it back a quarter inch and spinning a half turn (180 degrees) works 95% of the time.

^^

Reactions: Tate