PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Here is a pic of the Ehrlich I picked up last night. My cleanings for Estates are complete sanitation of the stem( bleach and water soaking for 3 hours, alochol and pipe cleaners untill there is absolutly NO remains of discoloration, alochol and salt or cotton balls soak for 16 hours, spit and polish on rim to reduce the charring, scrubbing, rubbing and elbow grease on the bowl, reaming inside bowl and brushing and scrubbing inside shank to the inside of the bowl, making the draught hole free. Deoxidizing of the stem, and finally appling a coat of leather restore beeswax over entire bowl and stem. It is not as good as most people do but I like my older pipes to take on a more natural look.
Before picture

009-1.jpg

After picture (The white stringy spots are lint from the polish rag)

001.jpg

Here is the Dr. Grabow Emperor before and after
Before (second pipe in pic)

004-3.jpg

After (sorry I just noticed this one came out blurry)

002-3.jpg

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Thank you shawn. Probably around 60 now. I have to make a count because I constantly buy, and trade them. I NEVER sell them though. Don't need money so it is more fun to trade.

lankfordjl

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2011
Texas
Thanks for the before and after pictures. It's amazing how you can breath life back into old tired pipes.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Nice job nsfisher. I like that you are preserving the looks of the pipes as close to their original specs as possible and leaving the little battle scars in place. Sure not the only way one could do it but I think grinding away all the original surface would take away some of the old pipe's soul. :puffy:

bigmike

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Love the character marks on the wood. Shows the history and longevity of that nice piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.