PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nukesimi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 25, 2016
A few months ago I bought a few whole leaf samples to try out some home recipes for plugs. I was hydrating the remainder of the leaf for a second batch, and when I reached to open the Burley, the entire inside of the bag was crawling with tobacco beetles. So I'm curious, I have a good number of tins of a wide variety that I've been collecting the past couple years. Is there any chance that the tobacco in these tins will hatch beetles?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I would say after stoving and other processes that went into making the blends you have nothing to worry about. Tobacco spiders are something else altogether though!
https://youtu.be/IrC3_N-zES4

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not sure that I'm glad I now know about tobacco spiders. I've never heard about them nor encountered them before, knowingly. I will have to decide if I now want to inspect my blends with a magnifying glass. Perhaps not until I experience a flavor problem. Since I've smoked pipes on and off for forty years, maybe I'll just forget I saw this. (Really, I'd rather know than not, but it is not a pleasant discovery.)

Jan 8, 2013
I would say after stoving and other processes that went into making the blends you have nothing to worry about. Tobacco spiders are something else altogether though!
https://youtu.be/IrC3_N-zES4
Nope... nope... nope, nope, nope, nope, nope. I will not be looking at my tobacco with a magnifying glass to find spiders or their eggs. I'd rather be blissfully ignorant of their being there. 8O

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
That vid was posted on April 1st, if that helps...
jay-roger.jpg

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Had a few bad experiences with beetles and Cuban cigars but nothing yet with pipe tobacco. I would think the processing and vacuum seal would eliminate the concern, 2 things that don't occur with cigars.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The old straw occurs to me, if it ain't broke don't fix it. My wife ordered five bucks plus shipping worth of ladybugs, to fight garden pests in an environmentally friendly way. It fell to me to distribute the "girls" when they arrived, cutting the corner off a little net bag where they were dancing around, and gently scrapping them off the outside of the bag where they soon relocated, onto the leaves and stems of our garden. I'd already powdered the vicinity with their starter food, to get them going on our local aphids and other edible ladybug food. I think there were supposed to be 1,500, distributed over various small gardens and planter stands. The next day, I spotted two, and since I have not seen a single one, ever. So they have retreated into various secret hiding places, or more likely they have de-camped to what they sensed were juicier plants off the property, or some kind of predators arrived and ate them up with relish, or without relish. Yum-yum. Good business plan, to send bug across the continent to promptly disappear.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hah! on the ladybugs. I've heard many a tale of the same thing. I pretty much use a hard stream of water to rid most plants of many pests. (and eggs)
Tobacco dust mites are what you really don't want. But once stoved and then incinerated, give a flavor that's redolent of a mixture of Perique, Latakia and Mixture 69.

Status
Not open for further replies.