PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Beeswax has been recommended to me for polishing up briar pipe bowls. This was suggested by

a dependable pipe professional. I have avoided putting anything on my briars, keeping them dry

and clean and buffed with a soft cloth instead. Beeswax sounds like a prudent approach to put a little

shine in some of the older pipes especially. I don't think I'd use it on the few that have a higher

finish. Especially some of the natural/unfinished briars that have taken on a nice patina with age.

Beeswax is sold mostly for craft people who make candles, sold by the pound, more than I want to

store, or as actual candles. My best source seems to be lip balm, a small quantity in a little tube

that keeps it somewhat moist; this is billed as 100% beeswax. An alternative would be a very small

jar of wax possibly from a health food store. I think very sparing application, maybe once every

six months and only on older pipes that have some porosity. Does anyone have experience with using

beeswax in this way? Suggestions? Alternative?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
In My Humble Opinion bees wax wouldn't be that great an idea.

It tends to collect dirt very easily, and it doesn't shine up at all well.

Bees wax is simply too soft.

You would be better off either using a clean soft cloth to clean up the outside of your bowls and opt for a carnauba wax which is considerably harder, polishes very well, is more durable, and will resist picking up oils, and dirt from your hands.
YMMV

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
If you don't have a buffer,I'd get the Halcyon as it can be used on smooth or rusticated pipes. Fine Pipes also sell Paragon wax which is IMO a batter wax but it cannot be used on rusticated pipes.

The only thing beeswax wax should be used for on a pipe is the tenon. It will lube a tight stem or tighten up a loose one.

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
Like James, I recommend Halcyon (rusticated/blasted) or Paragon (smooth) for pipes if you don't have a buffer, or carnuba if you do. Typically, beeswax is used as a curing agent on meerschaum pipes. A final application is placed on the pipe before it is placed to set in the oven to set. It is rather soft, never quite sets under normal smoking conditions, and won't really give the shine.
Olive oil will also put a sheen to your pipe as well as put some oil into the wood. I personally don't use olive oil, but some folks here love it.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I have tried a beeswax polish (can't recall the name, but meant for furniture) and it was okay, but nothing great.
I also recommend Halcyon. I put off buying it for a long time, but finally broke down and ordered some and so glad I did. However, I get better results with pure carnauba wax on my smooth pipes - the drawback to carnauba wax is that it leaves a ugly white residue in any cracks, crevices, like stampings.
So for me, I use Halcyon on all my sandblasts, rusticated pipes and I use carnauba on my smooths (making sure I don't get any in the stampings)

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I have heard of beeswax for Meerschaum pipes but not for Briar. I would think the beeswax would make you pipe dirtier quicker, as Lawrence pointed out, it will just hold all the ask and dirt.
+1 to all above mentioned recommendations

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good suggestions all around. I'll hold the beeswax. Maybe try the Halcyon. So far, a cloth seems to do a fair

job keeping things bright. As mentioned elsewhere, a bandana with some sizing left in it even brightens up

old Vulcanite that has started to gray, and does a good job on bowls smooth, rusticated and sandblasted.

Any other suggestions or observations are welcome. Thank you for the good information.

Status
Not open for further replies.