PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

marine33

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2014
It's been a while. About 2 1/2 years. Why have I been gone so long? Feel like I let a lot of people down. I joined here to start pipe smoking and quit cigs. I almost did it. But never got my palate to get the pipe flavor. I thought I was starting too but I went back to cigs. I still pack a pipe every now and then. I'm back and THIS time I won't quit on myself. Any advice would be awesome. Both on how to stop cigs and to get my palate to accept the fact that I'm a pipe smoker!! Thanks to all on here that helped me in past. Semper Fi!

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Welcome back. Don't be hard on yourself. There are closet cigarette smokers on here, and I'm one of them. I was smoking those American Spirits that have perique in them this past fall, but I put them down for my pipe once winter came. I don't have any real advice other than to find yourself a stronger blend that you like and make it an all day smoke in the beginning, and then go from there. You might need it if you're planning on using pipes as a full replacement for cigarettes so that the nicotine hit is satisfying enough. The nuanced flavors of pipe tobacco are not always found by my palate, and most might agree; give it time and take it slow. Sometimes a pipe tobacco that normally tastes complex and pleasing one day can taste like a boring and bland cigarette the next. It's just how it is sometimes, at least with me it is. When it's good, stick with your routine, and when it's bad, switch it up and see what happens? It can be a challenge to find a strong pipe tobacco that has a nice rich nuanced flavor, but they are out there and I'm sure others will have some suggestions. Again, welcome back to pipe smoking. Stay positive about it and I'm sure it will work out for you this go around.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
I think you know the answer. Once you stop the cigs, your palate with acclimate to the pipe and you'll be able to enjoy the flavors.
So... maybe.... stop the cigs?!

I was able to transition from the cigs to the pipe, but it wasn't easy. There are still withdrawals, because the pipe will never give you the instant lung feel/fix that cigs do. So, it will still be tough, even if you have your pipe at hand.

However, everyone is different. It may be that it would be easier if you first quit cigarettes and give it a little while before coming to pipes. You might even talk to your doctor about things to help you quit... but maybe, leave out the pipes part. most doctors don't understand.
Only you know the answer. but good luck.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I suppose I was lucky in this respect.. I never intended to quit cigarettes. Once I began to really enjoy all aspects of pipe smoking, I just stopped smoking cigarettes. It came as a surprise to me really... one day I woke up and had no desire for them.
I think it's important to find a couple tobaccos you REALLY enjoy, so eventually you find yourself craving them instead of those nasty little floor sweepings with filters.

It may be of some help, too, if you have a particularly clinchable pipe that you can keep in your mouth in between smokes.

marine33

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2014
Awesome. Thank you all really. Great advice and wisdom. I'm telling you I was blown away when I joined here everyone is so generous and forthcoming with every little bit of information and vice they have and I am still blown away to this day. I don't think make that I know I couldn't find a bunch of more awesome people if I tried. Thanks again and I too look forward to some great conversations with you all. Thanks again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.