PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Not a thing here either. I didn't even know they still existed, they haven't be ed n recognized here for a couple of decades.
Though people think they're a thing and that it applies if you live with someone for some number of years, when that wasn't even how it worked before being thrown out. It used to apply if two people planned on getting married but had to wait (like grandpa is in France and won't be back, or we can't afford the wedding we want.

Reactions: Chasing Embers
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I wouldn’t be able to sleep without the aroma of tobacco around me. My pipes are all rinsed with water and have NO smells, and I don’t see any danger in just smelling unburned tobacco.
But, I can’t even imagine not smoking in the house. It fills it with such a homey wonderful aroma, as long as it’s not a nasty latakia or aromatic.

Tell em Cosmic!

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
<<portion snipped>>

I did get complaints once while jarring up a few pounds of balkan supreme in the living room.
Same here and same tobacco lol.

I smoke outside and hope for a mini-split AC for garage in a couple years. But pipes are in sealed containers and most tobacco in a cabinet both in a spare room with a modest air purifier.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Though people think they're a thing and that it applies if you live with someone for some number of years, when that wasn't even how it worked before being thrown out. It used to apply if two people planned on getting married but had to wait (like grandpa is in France and won't be back, or we can't afford the wedding we want.
Common law marriage laws still exist in quite a few states.

I realize our legal system is different up here in Canada, but both of our systems is largely based on English common law. Here in Alberta it's 3 years living together or having a child while living together.

Screenshot_20200915-214100_Google.jpg

Reactions: anotherbob
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
No common law marriages in Louisiana. Our laws are quite a bit different in a lot of areas compared to other states. I’m definitely not a legal expert, but I think ours are based on/influenced by Napoleonic code, Roman Catholicism, and Spanish law. I think a lot of lawyers that practiced in other states and moved to Louisiana have a hard time passing the bar. Or so I’ve heard. ?‍♂️

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
No common law marriages in Louisiana. Our laws are quite a bit different in a lot of areas compared to other states. I’m definitely not a legal expert, but I think ours are based on/influenced by Napoleonic code, Roman Catholicism, and Spanish law. I think a lot of lawyers that practiced in other states and moved to Louisiana have a hard time passing the bar. Or so I’ve heard. ?‍♂️
Same here in Canada with Quebec, their legal system is more Napoleonic code. Same origins too, "Cajun" = Acadian.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Just an English corruption of the word. Acadian became "a cajun" much as el lagarto became "alligator".

Lots of "cowboy" words are Anglicized Spanish.

vaquero = buckaroo
la reata = lariat
lazo = lasso
jáquima = hackamore
rodear = rodeo
rancho = ranch
chaparreras = chaps
estampida = stampede
tan galán (so gallant) = ten gallon hat

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Lots of "cowboy" words are Anglicized Spanish.

vaquero = buckaroo
la reata = lariat
lazo = lasso
jáquima = hackamore
rodear = rodeo
rancho = ranch
chaparreras = chaps
estampida = stampede
tan galán (so gallant) = ten gallon hat
Kind of sad really as they loose that "oomph" in translation.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
And from what I've read, the hardest to learn.
An Indian fellow I worked with that was a fairly recent immigrant to Canada, spoke very fluent English that he learned in school in India, but still had difficulty understanding conversational English as used by his younger Canadian coworkers. He would regularly ask me to explain phrases or expressions he overheard that he was perplexed by. My absolute favourite was when he asked me what it meant when people said that a movie was "cheesy." I responded with "Well, when someone says that a movie is cheesy, what they mean is that it's really corny."